Still Alive

unbaked pegga

Songster
9 Years
Nov 22, 2014
Lebanon TN
My previous posts were about my chicken Rosie. She is still alive. She still has that same waddling posture. She cannot jump up on the roost. Now she goes to the nest box. And seems to do that well. She is very vocal and talks to me when I talk to her. She is eating as long as I put it in front of her. She ate oatmeal this morning. And when I was looking at her from the ground up onto the coop, she has an area between her legs it almost looks pendulous. The other day I felt a bit and it was soft, I couldn’t tell if it had fluid in it or not. I don’t know, if I gave her the anabiotic does anyone think that would help the Tums did not help and I ended up giving her a total of three tablets. and I don’t know how to draw a fluid off of it and I don’t even know if it is fluid . I know it’s soft. Can anybody give me some information or do they had experience just like this she doesn’t seem to be suffering but I am.

I'm sorry to hear that. Not familiar with condition but get a deja vu Ive read this before...did you check old posts? Glad to hear she is eating. How old is she?

And when I was looking at her from the ground up onto the coop, she has an area between her legs it almost looks pendulous. The other day I felt a bit and it was soft, I couldn’t tell if it had fluid in it or not

I'm so sorry about your girl! I know you've been through so much. The wording I quoted above caught my attention. I'm no expert at all, but the first thing I thought of was ascites (aka waterbelly).

20221001_070904.jpg

From what I've read, it is more common in broiler chickens, but can happen in aging layers (I don't remember how old Rosie is), especially those under excessive stress (The Chicken Health Handbook, Gail Damerow).

I searched Google for some links to post, but most of the research and reputable sources that mention it are only referring to broiler chickens. I hope some others with more health-related expertise can chime in!

Sending hugs to you! ❤️‍🩹

Back
Top Bottom