Still Broody!!!

Chicken Ma

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 18, 2008
El Sobrante
I wrote before about my hen not leaving the nest, but also not laying any eggs. Well, I've changed everything around, including the nestboxes and now she is "nesting" on the roost and not leaving it. Still no eggs, but she is determined to just sit there. If I move her and put her by food and water, she will eat and drink, but then immediately returns to her "roost". I'm worried that if I don't move her, she will just sit there and starve. What can I do?

Also, I have 6 roosters I need to find homes for and I cannot. I don't want to kill them, what else can I do?????

Try this.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=181289

I finally butcherd my 4 extra roos. I put it off for nearly a year and really wish I'd done it sooner. The hen's were getting really roughed up and they are so much happier now.
hugs.gif

Last edited:
I move the hen from the flock and place her somewhere where her underside will be cold for a few days .....dog crate or garage floor. It usually works. However, if the hen goes back broody when I return her to the flock I always relent and give her eggs to brood. I suspect that those hens who are excessively broody have very locked in hormone levels and it is kindest to let her brood. They almost always make excellent mommas,

Sandie

The dog crate raised above the floor with bricks in each of the four corners works well. Lock her up there with food and water for 2-3 days. Goodluck.
fl.gif

My Favorelle went broody for 3 weeks - after trying everything I finally did the wire dog crate off the ground for 36 hrs and after 24 hrs she stopped puffing up like a basketball when I walked by her and by 36 hrs she was clucking around and relaxed. I put her back with the ladies and viola! She's fixed! You must try the wire cage!! I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't tried it myself!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom