Still concerned over 2 week old chick

XAshleyX

Songster
Jul 6, 2022
Connecticut
Hi everyone. I made a post last week regarding my spring chicks. I got 3 chicks from a local farmer. One olive egger, Easter egger, and an accidental Polish. The Polish died overnight and I contacted the person who reported they are not selling them anymore due to them being in poor health. I noticed my olive egger immediately looked a little off. Her neck is turned mostly and although she's not necessarily having trouble eating, she is having difficulty preening. Also her wings looks odd. One is like constantly tucked and the other is a bit droopy. I've been giving her 400iu vitamin e capsules half directly and in her food as well as nutridrench. She definitely appears better than when I've gotten her but I'm concerned regarding progress because I've read that you'll typically see improvement with wry neck treatments pretty soon. The first picture is when I first got her and all the others are of today.

oops I hit post too quickly!!! Here are the pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_1975.jpeg
    IMG_1975.jpeg
    386.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2199.jpeg
    IMG_2199.jpeg
    403 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2185.jpeg
    IMG_2185.jpeg
    363.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2160.jpeg
    IMG_2160.jpeg
    346.8 KB · Views: 7
She's so cute!

It seems you are on the right track with the vitamins.

I'm not sure what else you can try if she's eating and drinking well. Sometimes chicks can feather in a bit oddly at the beginning. She will go through a couple of more molts before she gets her "big girl" feathers.
It may be that she's got a developmental or genetic issue, but time will tell on that.

Does she interact with the other chick o.k.?

She's so cute!

It seems you are on the right track with the vitamins.

I'm not sure what else you can try if she's eating and drinking well. Sometimes chicks can feather in a bit oddly at the beginning. She will go through a couple of more molts before she gets her "big girl" feathers.
It may be that she's got a developmental or genetic issue, but time will tell on that.

Does she interact with the other chick o.k.?
She does interact with the other chick well. They're always together, eat together, sleep, preen/attempt to preen but the other chick is developing quickly and doing things my smaller one can't like dust bathe and fly on top of the brooder when I'm changing their food/water. I just want her to be ok and develop as normal as she can. How long should I continue vitamin e/ nutri drench

Back
Top Bottom