Still Crazy...after all these years...

Jul 15, 2019
Hello All,
My name is Lisa and I live in the Pacific Northwest on small acreage. I'm glad to have found this forum and am slowly working through it all!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Basically new. We had a flock of about 30 chickens 10 years ago but lost them all bit by bit to predators shortly after they began laying. I vowed I wasn't getting any more until I knew we could keep them safe. In talking to neighbors I learned the likely culprit was a mink or fisher that destroyed most the flock in a single day, in broad daylight.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
I have 8 four week old chicks that we picked up yesterday.

(3) What breeds do you have?
Feed store lady says they are Silver Wyandottes. I'm thinking Black Australorps. My next post will be looking for your opinions. Looking at them closer today I think I may have a few roosters in there too.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
The eggs! And pest control. And fertilizer

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
We have a couple of horses. Failing at farming all over the place. Overgrown orchard...etc

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I have a husband that tolerates and supports all my farming attempts. 3 grown boys, a horse, a pony, and a really spoiled Cavalier King Charles Spaniel

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D Yay the Google! I was looking for pictures of 4 week old chicks to compare what I have and stumbled on to this site. It looked helpful to this new chicken lady, so here I am!

:frow
Hi and welcome to the Forum! I don't have horses any more but will always have a soft spot in my heart for them and for fellow horse people. I love it that you're "failing at farming all over the place," lol! DH and I say we used to have a garden but now we have chickens. You'll have fun here. Enjoy!:hugs

Hello All,
My name is Lisa and I live in the Pacific Northwest on small acreage. I'm glad to have found this forum and am slowly working through it all!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Basically new. We had a flock of about 30 chickens 10 years ago but lost them all bit by bit to predators shortly after they began laying. I vowed I wasn't getting any more until I knew we could keep them safe. In talking to neighbors I learned the likely culprit was a mink or fisher that destroyed most the flock in a single day, in broad daylight.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
I have 8 four week old chicks that we picked up yesterday.

(3) What breeds do you have?
Feed store lady says they are Silver Wyandottes. I'm thinking Black Australorps. My next post will be looking for your opinions. Looking at them closer today I think I may have a few roosters in there too.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
The eggs! And pest control. And fertilizer

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
We have a couple of horses. Failing at farming all over the place. Overgrown orchard...etc

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I have a husband that tolerates and supports all my farming attempts. 3 grown boys, a horse, a pony, and a really spoiled Cavalier King Charles Spaniel

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D Yay the Google! I was looking for pictures of 4 week old chicks to compare what I have and stumbled on to this site. It looked helpful to this new chicken lady, so here I am!

Welcome to BackYardChickens! So glad to have you here in our wonderful community of friendly, helpful, knowledgeable people!
We are in Portland, Oregon...soon moving to Lakeside, Oregon...where we can finally keep chickens!

FF117247-319D-4886-8651-12ED007CE6DD.jpeg
Welcome :welcome Glad you decided to join us! Meet Scarlet, my chatty Black Australorp :duc

Back
Top Bottom