Still flappin' my wings!

Welcome to BYC! Like others said above, I really enjoyed your introduction. It was a pleasure to read. I wish you the best of luck in your new national park. Also, with chickens, you have just the right stuff to fix up those heavy clay soils. There's nothing better to loosen them up than chicken compost and chicken grit, which you can get at feed stores. I hope you will enjoy the website and that it will be helpful for you.

:ya
awesome.gif
:ya

byc-chicken-family.jpg

Wow it sounds like you're living the dream! Congrats on your new home and chicken adventure!! I'm a maker and aspiring homesteader too! Though we're still in the process of acre-hunting, Oregon is ridiculous expensive, but the climate and local resources are perfect. I've posted some of my artwork in an album accessible on my profile page if you'd like to take a look.

Your flock sounds absolutely gorgeous! And you are so lucky to have such a lovely gentleman rooster. Your plan to raise your own meat is very admirable. I haven't been able to bring myself to do that yet, but I recently came across a wonderful article that gently introduces the process and includes a link to a special YouTube video, which has given me a new perspective on the whole thing. You may be interested:
Pets VS. Livestock & Respectful Chicken Harvest

Here's a few other links you may find helpful:
Predator Proofing
Cold Weather Advisory
Chicken Coop Ventilation - Go Out There And Cut More Holes In Your Coop!

Best wishes and hope you enjoy the site!

Welcome to BYC! Like others said above, I really enjoyed your introduction. It was a pleasure to read. I wish you the best of luck in your new national park. Also, with chickens, you have just the right stuff to fix up those heavy clay soils. There's nothing better to loosen them up than chicken compost and chicken grit, which you can get at feed stores. I hope you will enjoy the website and that it will be helpful for you.
Hey, thanks! We're using the "deep bedding" technique in the coop and the covered parts of their yard. Come Spring I'll don a filter mask and pitchfork all those layers of straw and droppings out then wheelbarrow it to the haphazard compost heap i started last Spring. For now we're using raised beds for vegetables and herbs; the cutting gardens are in either large plots I dug out then refilled with bought soil, or on a mound I built up with the dug out clay & thatch then covered over with compost matter then bought soil. I went organic for the raised beds but whatever was on sale for the flowers - just couldn't afford that many loads of organic!
Anyway, I'm looking forward to having all that poopy straw to claim more garden space and defray the cost of bought compost. It's definitely a labor of love, looking at what I can do this year but also deciding which areas can be rehabbed the slow and lazy way with cardboard, compost, and time. I hadn't thought about including grit but will definitely do that this year. Thanks for the tip!

Back
Top Bottom