Still getting fertile eggs after 18 days

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Coop de Grille, May 29, 2012.

1. Coop de Grille

Coop de Grille Songster

Apr 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    I had to get rid of a mean roo 18 days ago but my girls are still laying fertile eggs! I don't have any other roo's even close enough to breeding age, they are only two and a half weeks old. I am surprised they are still fertile, I thought the fertility would have dropped off after 10-14 days but the fertile eggs are still coming. My DH says my roo must have been a real stud lol

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

It's not unheard of at all. 2-3 weeks is the norm to expect them to stay fertile. Have had that happen in my flock as well when a rooster died unexpectedly.

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  3. DanEP

DanEP Songster

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    I had a aussie roo and wr roo in my flock.When I wanted to breed then white rocks I seoerated the girls for 21 days then put the wr roo in with them and waited 3 days befoere gathering eggs and still got two black chicks. New rules wait four weeks then save eggs.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

It's unusual for them to still be fertile after 3 weeks, but there have been very rare occasions when folks have had chicks obviously sired by the former rooster after 4 weeks. For the most part, you're good to go if you wait 21 days or so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: