Still getting soft shells

vachicks

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 23, 2010
Virginia
I had 2 yesterday one the yolk was laying on the roost floor. Strange thing is when they lay the soft ones they lay them in the roost not the nest boxes. I have had 4 good ones so I know they all have laid hard shells, I don't know who is laying the soft ones, my bet is its the 2 who just started laying b/c the other 2 are laying almost everyday with no problems.

I quit feeding most treats, they are staying in their pen more b/c I am working now, I only give them veggies and a small handful of cracked corn. Today I gave them a chicken carcass and the other day a pork bone, they LOVE picking at those. Oh and some plain yogurt.

I hear the I laid an Egg song, someone is laying now...

Thanks

You might look through here in case you see something, but my guess is that it is the young ones just learning to lay. When they first start to lay, they do not always have good control of their system and may lay weird eggs at unexpected times. If this goes on for more than two weeks with the same chicken, you probably have another problem. Since you are getting eggs with good shells from some of your chickens it is probably not a lack of calcium. If you are feeding them layer feed, it should have enough calcium for them. It won't hurt to offer them oyster shell on the side but it should not be necessary.

Soft shelled Eggs
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publi...ndbook/16/thinshelled-eggs-and-shellless-eggs

wee.gif
Good luck and congratulations on the eggs!
wee.gif

Thanks! I had to go out of town and they laid all good eggs while i was gone and have continued to do so...whew.

Back
Top Bottom