STILL having issues with my Ameracauna's eggs šŸ˜¤

kimberdougl5

Songster
Mar 20, 2019
Columbia Co., Fl
A couple months back I posted about my new hen's eggs being broken by the other hens...her eggs were light blue and had a fairly decent shell. Over time, the shells became thinner, and I watched one break on it's way out. I've been giving her calcium citrate 630mg pretty much every day. She has free access to crushed oyster shell and is on Purina Late a feed just like the rest of my flock. (No other hen has an egg issue)
For the last week, I've not seen any evidence of her laying an egg at all. Just now I watched her lay an egg and I'm dumbfounded. It does not have a hard outer shell at all. When held up to light it has a yolk, and it's a normal size. With all the prescribed "treatments" for soft shells, you'd think we would be moving forward, not backward!
Is she just a "dud" at laying viable eggs?!?! She's about a year old. Please, anyone, any OTHER suggestions?!?

Do you only give your hens chicken feed and nothing else?
I have 7 hens. I give them either a cup of 5grain scratch with meal worms and crushed oyster shell or a handful of peanut suet balls every day. One or the other, but not both. This hen really isn't into the "treats". Rarely will she eat any.
I also pick dandelion greens once a week and toss them in their coop. A couple times a week, I dump my kitchen "trash bowl" in their run. It will have crushed egg shells, coffee grinds, vegetable scraps... That's it. Again, I have rarely seen her eat anything but her regular feed. My other hens stampede at "treat" time, but she just hangs back.

Is she at the bottom of the pecking order? Maybe she can't get to it cause the other hens will pick at her?
Do you ever give her fermented feed or plain yogurt? It helps with digestion, allowing the body to absorb maximum nutrients better.
I've been using this method for my flock and had zero issues concerning health or other chicken disorders.

Hi! I'm so sorry you're pullet is having a time with laying. The main thing I can suggest is to cut out the treats. Treats include anything but their complete balanced feed. This includes scratch as that's just like what we call "junk food". If you feel like they need something different, offer their food moistened with water. Many birds LOVE this.

Hi! I'm so sorry you're pullet is having a time with laying. The main thing I can suggest is to cut out the treats. Treats include anything but their complete balanced feed. This includes scratch as that's just like what we call "junk food". If you feel like they need something different, offer their food moistened with water. Many birds LOVE this.
:goodpost:

Is she at the bottom of the pecking order? Maybe she can't get to it cause the other hens will pick at her?
Do you ever give her fermented feed or plain yogurt? It helps with digestion, allowing the body to absorb maximum nutrients better.
I've been using this method for my flock and had zero issues concerning health or other chicken disorders.
She is the newest addition, but has been around 4 months now. She is generally apathetic towards the rest of the flock, and they pretty much ignore her too. At night tho, that's a whole other story. She is first to roost, front and center, and absolutely will NOT share the roost bar with another hen. My other 6 will crowd together on the other bar. I've been waiting for this to straighten itself out... we're in Florida, and it's getting plenty warm here for them to start spreading out to the other roosts.
So yes, this hen is weird, has been weird since day one, and I got her becuz I wanted a blue egg in my egg basket. Ugh... Be careful what you wish for šŸ˜‰

My flock get there usual layer feed mixed with 18 percent feed available everday, in the mornings they get whole corn, kale, spinach, sunflower seeds, and fermented scratch. In the afternoon they get mealworms, grass clumps, and weeds from the garden. And I sometimes leave a tub of plain yogurt out there for them.
I feel that having a diverse diet for chickens keep them balanced and healthy.

Back
Top Bottom