STILL having issues with my Ameracauna's eggs šŸ˜¤

Auto correct got your stated feed messed up (that gets me every time!) What feed do you feed her?
My flock has been on Purina Layena from the start. All my other hens are AWESOME. They lay great eggs every day (4 or more from 7 hens). No problems ever. It's just this one...that I of course thought I HAD to have cuz of her egg color. She's not even friendly like my other hens. I'm quite put out with her right now...šŸ˜¤šŸ¤£

My flock get there usual layer feed mixed with 18 percent feed available everday, in the mornings they get whole corn, kale, spinach, sunflower seeds, and fermented scratch. In the afternoon they get mealworms, grass clumps, and weeds from the garden. And I sometimes leave a tub of plain yogurt out there for them.
I feel that having a diverse diet for chickens keep them balanced and healthy.
Yes!!! I like to give them a variety. This hen just really isn't all that interested in much of anything. She's been that way from the start. The others are VERY SOCIAL and greet me at the door, telling me all the stories and such. She just acts BORED šŸ¤·

Some birds have more issues with laying than others. I have one hen that has experienced egg shell quality issues for her entire laying career (she'll be 2 years old in Aug). What I've found is administering calcium citrate whenever I first notice an issue arising. I noticed this morning that she had laid a soft shelled egg off her roost last night and thinking back, I remember that I have offered more treats lately. I didn't think that she was getting many treats but she is the one that comes in last and cleans up whatever is left. I've also started offering oyster shell AND crushed egg shells. She prefers the crushed shells and the more I think about it, I never see her having any oyster shell but I ALWAYS see her gobbling up egg shells. I also switched her feed. Many folks strongly suggest that layers should eat a layer feed and I feel like they should if possible. In Mally's case, she just does better on Purina Flock Raiser. I know that is her favorite

Some birds have more issues with laying than others. I have one hen that has experienced egg shell quality issues for her entire laying career (she'll be 2 years old in Aug). What I've found is administering calcium citrate whenever I first notice an issue arising. I noticed this morning that she had laid a soft shelled egg off her roost last night and thinking back, I remember that I have offered more treats lately. I didn't think that she was getting many treats but she is the one that comes in last and cleans up whatever is left. I've also started offering oyster shell and crushed egg shells. She prefers the crushed shells and the more I think about it, I never see her having any oyster shell but I ALWAYS see her gobbling up egg shells. I also switched her feed. Many folks strongly suggest that layers should eat a layer feed and I feel like they should if possible. In Mally's case, she just does better on Purina Flock Raiser. I know that is her favorite
I agree with your approach on what your doing with your hen, every chicken is different with almost everything including having likes and dislikes and observering there behavior to find a solution for possible problems that might occur.

If you find that she likes a wet mash, you could crush up some egg shell and mix it in and separate her for this "special" treat. Sometimes I mix in some boiled egg (although the boiled egg is considered a treat) and Mally's very enthusiastic about gobbling it up

Some birds have more issues with laying than others. I have one hen that has experienced egg shell quality issues for her entire laying career (she'll be 2 years old in Aug). What I've found is administering calcium citrate whenever I first notice an issue arising. I noticed this morning that she had laid a soft shelled egg off her roost last night and thinking back, I remember that I have offered more treats lately. I didn't think that she was getting many treats but she is the one that comes in last and cleans up whatever is left. I've also started offering oyster shell and crushed egg shells. She prefers the crushed shells and the more I think about it, I never see her having any oyster shell but I ALWAYS see her gobbling up egg shells. I also switched her feed. Many folks strongly suggest that layers should eat a layer feed and I feel like they should if possible. In Mally's case, she just does better on Purina Flock Raiser. I know that is her favorite
I know this hen doesn't eat the crushed oyster shell. She is most likely cleaning up whatever mis-happen eggs she's laying becuz I haven't seen ANY blue egg shell at all. My other hens are so excited about treat time, there's nothing left of what I put out. I think this is Nature's way of teaching me a lesson...I should just be grateful for the beautiful buff to rosey brown eggs I get every day šŸ˜‰ Thank you for your suggestions!!

If you find that she likes a wet mash, you could crush up some egg shell and mix it in and separate her for this "special" treat. Sometimes I mix in some boiled egg (although the boiled egg is considered a treat) and Mally's very enthusiastic about gobbling it up
I just might give that a try and see if that helps. I like having "happy" hens... she's just "meh"...

Back
Top Bottom