Still having problems with leg

Although it's only the most evil among mankind that culls those that they perceive to be less than the 'ideal' person, we also don't have 'human nuggets' or 'people noodle soup' on any menu I've ever seen ... be prepared to face severe financial and emotional hardships, should you attempt to raise the status of the chicken so high, or to disregard the manner in which they are designed.

A much more reasonable/accurate comparison might be made between flocks of chickens and schools of fish, in that they are each individually fragile and temporary, so as to allow the flock/school to rapidly adjust to their circumstances/environments. They will, should predators fail, eliminate any individual that poses a threat to the survival of the majority, including those that might otherwise "learn to live with [their] deformity" or "may even be able to live" with the flocks/schools they're hard-wired to form ... that's a critical part of what makes 'em happy.

I've two wounded guineas inside, in cages beside one another ... had there been only one? I'da brought another in, just to keep it company, so as to reduce the tremendous stress that isolation causes them (which would almost certainly hinder recovery )-;~

SoOo ... I'm sorry if you found my suggestion cruel, and it's (of course) entirely your own decision to make, but there are times when culling is a kindness, and the most appropriate choice for the well-being of their flock.
Well, mother nature took care of my crippled baby chicken. I was out this afternoon and when I got home I went to check on it and found it had passed away. I am so sad. I know when you have animals around that is a part of it but it still hurts. I can't help but blame myself. Two nights ago my heat lamp went out and since the chick is six weeks old and even though it is very small, it was beginning to feather out and it had the other chicken in there with it, I had not yet replaced the light bulb. Could it have died of cold? The brooder is in my house and we have our heat on. I did notice yesterday that the chick has been chirping louder than usual but not knowing much about chickens I thought it was just busy talking to its new friend. I have now read that loud chirping is a sign of distress. It also died all alone because I had taken the other big chicken out of the brooder to let it spend some time in our outdoor coop. I feel so bad for the little thing.

Well, mother nature took care of my crippled baby chicken. I was out this afternoon and when I got home I went to check on it and found it had passed away. I am so sad. I know when you have animals around that is a part of it but it still hurts. I can't help but blame myself. Two nights ago my heat lamp went out and since the chick is six weeks old and even though it is very small, it was beginning to feather out and it had the other chicken in there with it, I had not yet replaced the light bulb. Could it have died of cold? The brooder is in my house and we have our heat on. I did notice yesterday that the chick has been chirping louder than usual but not knowing much about chickens I thought it was just busy talking to its new friend. I have now read that loud chirping is a sign of distress. It also died all alone because I had taken the other big chicken out of the brooder to let it spend some time in our outdoor coop. I feel so bad for the little thing.

I'm sorry you're feelin' so bad, but ... hopin' you'll read back over my last post, 'n reconsider how you look at such losses. It is hard, most esp. when we feel it's due to our own error, but you need to remember that you gave it far more time, love and attention than most chickens ever get.

It's easier for me, as I guard my heart w/ an armor of that logic I'd previously shared. So, you know I ain't just sayin' all this to make you feel better (even though I hope it does ~'-)

And, when any dares to begin peckin' it's way through, and into my heart? I remind myself that it's a chicken, and that statistically, it's time will come much too soon for me to allow myself to get too attached.

Back
Top Bottom