Still having trouble integrating

ChicadOro

Chirping
May 11, 2022
We have a flock of 9, 6 are a month older than the last three. We have a 36 square foot coop and a 90 foot run, and they get to free range for about an hour a day.

Here is where the problem lies: We did everything we were supposed to to introduce the two group, we had a dog cage, both in the run and in the coop overnight for about two weeks so they could see each other, then we slowly started to let them out. Then they were fully together, but the younger chickens are cooped up in the coop and the bigger chickens won't let them out in the run without constant pecking. Inside the coop, they are up in the roost most of the time. I'm concerned that this winter, if they are all in the coop during the day, that it might go sideways. There has never been any blood drawn. We've even tried to shut everyone out in the run and let nature take it's course, but then they just stayed up on the ladder to the coop.

What else can we do?

We have a flock of 9, 6 are a month older than the last three. We have a 36 square foot coop and a 90 foot run, and they get to free range for about an hour a day.

Here is where the problem lies: We did everything we were supposed to to introduce the two group, we had a dog cage, both in the run and in the coop overnight for about two weeks so they could see each other, then we slowly started to let them out. Then they were fully together, but the younger chickens are cooped up in the coop and the bigger chickens won't let them out in the run without constant pecking. Inside the coop, they are up in the roost most of the time. I'm concerned that this winter, if they are all in the coop during the day, that it might go sideways. There has never been any blood drawn. We've even tried to shut everyone out in the run and let nature take it's course, but then they just stayed up on the ladder to the coop.

What else can we do?
Can you post pictures of your coop and run?

Welcome to BYC. Where, in general, are you? Climate matters. :)

Your numbers are following the guidelines, but there isn't any extra space to help smooth out integration and let the birds get out of each others' way.

Can you show us photos of the coop and run?

Do you have plenty of "clutter" to give birds places to hide and break line-of-sight? https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

Do you have multiple feed and water stations set so that a bird using one can't be seen by birds at the others?

What are the ages? Are they all laying yet?

To me this sounds like a maturity difference. More mature chickens outrank less mature in the pecking order and usually are not shy about pecking the younger if they invade their personal space. It usually doesn't take the younger long to learn to avoid the older.

Those 4 sq ft and 10 sq ft numbers are blindly quoted on here for all situations but they are really meant for a small flock of hens all mature and all integrated. Integration typically takes more room to give hem room to avoid. I could be wrong about the maturity difference being the problem but your story is very typical on here, I see it all the time.

What can you do? More space helps, give them as much room as you can so they can avoid. Try to not force them to share tight spaces. Have separate food and water stations as far apart as you can, probably in the coop and in the run both, Clutter improves the quality of what space you have. So do what you can to avoid them getting injured and have patience. When they reach the right level of maturity they should merge into one flock. With mine, that's typically when they are laying.

What are the ages? Are they all laying yet?

To me this sounds like a maturity difference. More mature chickens outrank less mature in the pecking order and usually are not shy about pecking the younger if they invade their personal space. It usually doesn't take the younger long to learn to avoid the older.

Those 4 sq ft and 10 sq ft numbers are blindly quoted on here for all situations but they are really meant for a small flock of hens all mature and all integrated. Integration typically takes more room to give hem room to avoid. I could be wrong about the maturity difference being the problem but your story is very typical on here, I see it all the time.

What can you do? More space helps, give them as much room as you can so they can avoid. Try to not force them to share tight spaces. Have separate food and water stations as far apart as you can, probably in the coop and in the run both, Clutter improves the quality of what space you have. So do what you can to avoid them getting injured and have patience. When they reach the right level of maturity they should merge into one flock. With mine, that's typically when they are laying.
We have four that have been laying for a few weeks, we have one that is at POL and one that is nearly there (we got them all in April together), the others are a month behind, so likely mid-October for them to lay. We don't really have more room that we can give them, but we can build a few more toys and levels in their coop and run, so we'll do that this week. I haven't seen them draw any blood or cause damage, just more dramatic than anything. They all seem okay-ish when they are all free ranging together, more like two subflocks, but still nearish to each other. But it's all of the bigger ones picking on them. What you say about maturity makes sense. I've heard that once they start laying that they usually calm down - and that's been true with them to us, but not to the younger chickens.

Welcome to BYC. Where, in general, are you? Climate matters. :)

Your numbers are following the guidelines, but there isn't any extra space to help smooth out integration and let the birds get out of each others' way.

Can you show us photos of the coop and run?

Do you have plenty of "clutter" to give birds places to hide and break line-of-sight? https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

Do you have multiple feed and water stations set so that a bird using one can't be seen by birds at the others?
We're in Northern Ohio. I'll try to get some pictures and no, we currently only have one feed and waterer, we're trying to rectify that - we did have two, but the other is now too small. We need to add more things for them to do, I do know that, it's just been time right now has been limited to do anything more. We still have a few things to do in the coop before winter.

We're in Northern Ohio. I'll try to get some pictures and no, we currently only have one feed and waterer, we're trying to rectify that - we did have two, but the other is now too small. We need to add more things for them to do, I do know that, it's just been time right now has been limited to do anything more. We still have a few things to do in the coop before winter.

Even open bowls would work for extra feed and water.

I use the plastic bottoms of the containers rotisserie chicken comes in for extra feeders. Also plastic deli containers and random storage containers that have lost their lids.

I'm concerned that this winter, if they are all in the coop during the day, that it might go sideways.
Yep. BTDT. It's not pretty, that Chicken Cabin Fever.
If you can't give them more coop space and weather proofed run space,
getting rid of a few birds would be a good idea.

We're in Northern Ohio
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1663066275210.png

Back
Top Bottom