1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Still need help with weak duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jeaucamom, Jun 4, 2011.

1. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    I posted this yesterday in emergencies and didn't really get a response but someone suggested I post here.

This was the post:

Our ducks went for a swim in the bath tonight... and when we put them back in the brooder, our white runner is stumbling all over the place. She can't stand up or straighten her neck. We keep placing her under the heat lamp, but she rolls and falls over the other side.... she won't eat or drink.. although it's only been a few minutes...

What could be the matter with her??? She is almost 6 weeks and they have swum many times and she was swimming just fine tonight. Please help!!

Claire is doing better today.. standing, walking,... but she seems weak.. not as active as the rest. And I am still wondering what happened in the first place..

Anyone with any ideas?

2. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    What are you feeding them? You MUST give them niacin. Game bird starter crumbles has the niacin they need. Chicken starter does NOT have the niacin they need.

3. jeaucamom

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    I have been giving them green peas every day. And all the other ducklings are fine, so I am assuming they are getting enough.. I just switched over from un-medicated chick feed to flock raiser (because the feed store was out) and I have my son checking the niacin...

Would a niacin deficiency cause weakness??

4. jeaucamom

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    Nope flock raiser doesn't have niacin..

5. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

you can get nutritional brewers yeast from a health or natural foods store and sprinkle that on their food too. When I have a weak one (duck or chicken..or quail for that matter) I add a drop or two of Poly-Vi-Sol to their water, all it is is vitamins, but it seems to help

6. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    NIACIN! please buy game bird starter crumbles (it contains niacin).

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Is it Purina Flock Raiser? I just happen to have a label here on the desk, lol. Under ingredients, it has "Niacin Supplement", towards the bottom of the list. No amount given, but I'm guessing it's pretty small.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by