Still need help with weak duck

jeaucamom

Songster
12 Years
Oct 1, 2007
Ophir, CA
I posted this yesterday in emergencies and didn't really get a response but someone suggested I post here.

This was the post:

Our ducks went for a swim in the bath tonight... and when we put them back in the brooder, our white runner is stumbling all over the place. She can't stand up or straighten her neck. We keep placing her under the heat lamp, but she rolls and falls over the other side.... she won't eat or drink.. although it's only been a few minutes...

What could be the matter with her??? She is almost 6 weeks and they have swum many times and she was swimming just fine tonight. Please help!!

Claire is doing better today.. standing, walking,... but she seems weak.. not as active as the rest. And I am still wondering what happened in the first place..

Anyone with any ideas?

What are you feeding them? You MUST give them niacin. Game bird starter crumbles has the niacin they need. Chicken starter does NOT have the niacin they need.

I have been giving them green peas every day. And all the other ducklings are fine, so I am assuming they are getting enough.. I just switched over from un-medicated chick feed to flock raiser (because the feed store was out) and I have my son checking the niacin...

Would a niacin deficiency cause weakness??

you can get nutritional brewers yeast from a health or natural foods store and sprinkle that on their food too. When I have a weak one (duck or chicken..or quail for that matter) I add a drop or two of Poly-Vi-Sol to their water, all it is is vitamins, but it seems to help

Is it Purina Flock Raiser? I just happen to have a label here on the desk, lol. Under ingredients, it has "Niacin Supplement", towards the bottom of the list. No amount given, but I'm guessing it's pretty small.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom