Still no eggs this year :(

Ducktown

Songster
May 8, 2017
Last winter, we've had a lot of snow and this year, it's spring like - yet, my ducks are not laying eggs. Previous winter, they started laying in early to mid February. I don't now what they are waiting for.

I've been thinking, is there anything else besides sun exposure and possibly food intake that triggers laying?

Bird age, good nutrition and day length (increasing vs. decreasing) are the critical factors.
Weather has little effect.
The age at which a bird reaches POL in relation to time of year can have a big impact on if they lay when expected. Just dark dreary weather for long periods can have an effect.

Last edited:
They were not. When they start laying and begin hiding their eggs, they usually leave the flock during morning hours and hide somewhere to lay. You can easily see one is missing and it means only one thing, she's making a nest somewhere.

Today, I did find the first rather small egg. They started a bit later I guess. I don't know what could be the reason, perhaps they found more bugs last year, I don't know :)

Still no eggs for me :hmm

Me neither! I almost bought a couple of those fake ceramic eggs at the farm store the other day to put in their coop as a hint! Mine don’t even seem to want to get the sunlight they need to trigger laying. The sun is out today and the temp is hovering around freezing, which makes it a lovely day in comparison with how it has been. I have a pool and their cement mixing swimming bin filled. They took a brief swim and then headed back into the dark, sunless, barn. They’re never going to lay! :he:barnie

Back
Top Bottom