Still no eggs!

Looking for good juju from the thread too! My 23 Wk old speck Sussex and Mod. Java have been squatting for over a week, but alas no eggs.

Looking for good juju from the thread too! My 23 Wk old speck Sussex and Mod. Java have been squatting for over a week, but alas no eggs.

I'm new to the egg game, but I definitely noticed behavioral changes with my hens as they got a week or so away from laying. I have a coop and run and keep the coop door open all day. A week before they started laying they began going in and out of the coop in the morning. As if they were checking things out and making sure their area was ready. They also were squawking/early egg song a few weeks prior. Then, yesterday morning the squawking was similar but a bit higher pitched. Probably the same noise I'd make if I were passing an egg! Lol. When one of the hens laid her first egg, there was a lot of commotion. The other hen (I only have two) was going up and down checking out the egg and making all kinds of noises. "It's here! It's here! Come look!, she squawked. Sure enough an egg was waiting. I threw them a few cherry tomatoes. :)

I have 2 RSL, 2 Australorps, 2 EEs and 2 mystery red mixes (supposed to be Welsummers, but aren't)
All 17 weeks, but my RSL aren't showing any signs of being near lay
1f615.png

One of my BAs is nice and red, but I thought they didn't lay till later on average.

Any thoughts?

Quote:
I noticed my hens' combs got very red several days before they laid. I've also read that the combs will get very red so this is consistent with my experience so far. In your pics they look a little pink. From what I've read on forums and other websites typically hens will lay between 20-24 weeks. Sometimes they can a little earlier. Good luck!

In this pic they're about 19-20wks.

First egg at 22.5wks. Exciting!

Eggs #1 and #2. #2 was larger and closer to a store bough extra large egg, but slightly fatter.

Their home my cousin and I built. 4wx8lx6h feet

I'm chimming in for some good luck as well. My hens are in different age ranges. Some have been showing the egg laying signs for at least 2 weeks now. 2 days ago at 6:30 a.m. Hubby woke me up and said something was wrong with the chickens. I went to the kitchen and could hear LOUD egg song celebration going on in the coop. Even the rooster was singing and dancing. I ran outside and watched without disturbing them. It lasted at least 5 minutes! When they went quiet. I rushed to the coop to get my first egg...NOTHING! Still no eggs 2 days later.

Back
Top Bottom