Still no eggs!

Tinktank

In the Brooder
Nov 21, 2021
What do you use for supplemental lighting? How long has that been on? Mine will start laying later if I don't have 14+ hours of light on them starting from hatch, really.

I'd expect eggs no more than a week or two after your boys start crowing.
They have a 40 watt led light inside the coop for 14 hours. Although because we dropped down to negative five or so and only had days of maybe 10-12 I replaced it with a heat lamp for a few days and I shut off the timer and kept it on through the night. Our males started crowing by six weeks and they are now 10 with obvious signs of their “froth” on their poop. Really not sure what’s going on.

Tinktank

In the Brooder
Nov 21, 2021
This may sound odd, but maybe you can try confining them to a smaller space. Sometimes that gives them a better sense of security
I understand what you mean, they have a nice coop attached to their run and lots of heaps of hay to burrow in. Them being coturnix I assumed I didn’t need to bother with nesting boxes but maybe some little boxes for them to go inside out in their run?

Tinktank

In the Brooder
Nov 21, 2021
Have your males begun crowing/mounting/foaming yet?

Mine are about 9 or 10 weeks and laid their first eggs a couple days ago. They get a couple of dim lamps in their coop until 10 pm. I live in a temperate region.

So, could be environmental stress factors (maybe the cold snaps, maybe they're getting molested by critters). It could be genetics; your stock might be late layers. Either way, you've already invested in the flock up till this point, and sounds like you're doing everything right, so I don't think it's worth it to cull the entire herd. I think you'll see eggs in the next week or two.
My males have definitely started crowing and foaming for a couple of weeks now. I assumed the insane fluctuations in temperature may be an influence but I’d assumed a slowed egg production vs their complete lack. Not one egg in 10 weeks. I’m really hoping to just keep the course and hopefully they’ll settle in and start producing.

le_bwah

Crowing
May 1, 2018
Boise, ID
My Coop
My Coop
I'd give them until Spring—once that real, long sunlight gets in their eyes, the gears start turning. I'm in the same time zone and mine start laying with as little as ten hours.

Also, depending on where you are in MT and how your property's set up, they may be getting harassed by night time predators which can totally throw them off.

maycwindu

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 26, 2014
I understand what you mean, they have a nice coop attached to their run and lots of heaps of hay to burrow in. Them being coturnix I assumed I didn’t need to bother with nesting boxes but maybe some little boxes for them to go inside out in their run?
Providing boxes and baskets for privacy and security is a good idea. I use one of these with an entrance cut into it. You can get them in the home department of any walmart/target/etc. They like the feeling of being hidden while being able to see out of the basket. Someone laid an egg under it already.

1641627823862.png

RoosterML

Making Marans Great Again !!
Nov 5, 2018
Tolland County Connecticut, USA
I believe your problem might be you changing the light around. Provide 14-16 hours of white light per day. If you want a heat lamp you will need to provide a second fixture for that by itself. BUT your birds shouldn’t need supplement heat light. I like the idea of the heat panel. Low enough for them to push back up against. I would have a closed in area with a good amount of hay or wood chips for them to nest down on for really cold days. Also feed a layer crumble a 50/50 mix with what you are feeding now would be good.

Nabiki

Quail Geek
Premium Feather Member
May 15, 2019
Sonoma County, CA
Little boxes and hides will help. They like having places to hide.

CovidtimeQuail

Highly quailified
Premium Feather Member
Nov 28, 2020
Honolulu, HI
Waiting for your quail to lay eggs is like waiting for your baby to walk. There is a range of time that it occurs but it's hard to pinpoint. I've had hens that lay at six weeks, and one that took a full 15 weeks despite every attempt to give her the right conditions. Hang in there. Lots of light, ample food and water and non-stressful conditions. That's what's within your control.

Top Bottom