Still no eggs...

I bought the "helios" led string lights that are very bright n hung them in the chicken house that is pretty dark even when the sun is shining. These lights only come on at dusk n stay lit 6-8 hours.

I know this is off topic, and I do apologize, but I am VERY interested in hearing how these lights work for you. My coop is about 250' from the nearest electrical outlet and I would love to be able to provide them some light at night to keep them laying through the winter. I had never heard of these things (I don't do xmas lights) but they sound too good to be true. Only $25 on amazon. Thanks!

Again, apologies for the off topic post.

I know this is off topic, and I do apologize, but I am VERY interested in hearing how these lights work for you. My coop is about 250' from the nearest electrical outlet and I would love to be able to provide them some light at night to keep them laying through the winter. I had never heard of these things (I don't do xmas lights) but they sound too good to be true. Only $25 on amazon. Thanks!

Again, apologies for the off topic post.
Banriona, check them out at this link.

http://www.emailwire.com/release/13...tive-LED-SolarPowered-Star-String-Lights.html

Patience is the key
CHICKENS aren't naturally friendly like dogs
Birds arent meant to be naturally friendly as flight and freaking out and running is their defense against things that can hurt them.they cant bite with big teeth They are prey not preditor.
They dont know you yet..Their world has turned upside down ...Everything is new and yes they dont like change at all.
They dont know your barn and they dont know your outdoors.Leave them inside for 4or 5 days so they know its their safe place .Put a spot in to nest in
Dont try and touch them just spinkle treats down when you come in close to you and sit in a chair as someone said quietly and watch talk quietly and give treats . Scratch, a few bread crumbs.
Mine love...LOVE white bread crumbs.
They will get use to you and run to you after a while when you come in knowing treats are on the way.NONE of mine love to be touched even the ones that follow me like dogs and I raised them all from eggs... but that doesn't mean they hate me...just chickens and I dont hold them but rarely so why should they Some willnever get close though...... some will.

The barn ..good they aren't out yet!.
They need to know the barn is where they come to sleep each night... their place.... if they don't get use to it FIRST you will have to round them up at night and put them in. by hand.
Better have them in there for days pooing and have them come in at night by themselves....than to go out every night in the dark picking each up and putting them in which is what happens if the barn isn't imprinted as their home.
I have done this more than once...a pain!.
GOOD LUCK!.

By the waygood to know .... if you cant catch them in daytime when its dark they are easy Wont run at all just squack and wiggle a little .

Last edited:
Will someone please tell my chickens this......egg production goes down to ensure chicks survival?

I have 2 broodys with 3 weeks old babies (12 of them) and a third that is on a nest full of eggs 24/7...!!It is now 60 days and 40 nights.!!
I worry about these babies every day
Put microwave heat pads in with them at night Should put a light bulb in this weekend too going to 30's
Well my fault..... i was on a trip for 3 weeks and nobody collected eggs.

You can find LED solar xmas lights in stores
Years ago i bought some online to test how long they would last.
I had them outside for about 5-7 years 365 24/7 before they gave out and i think it was someone kicked over the solar collector about 5 times that did it .!!Work GREAT.Colors stayed nice and dark too. the whole time

Patience is a virtue my friend! These ready to lay hens are sent out as soon as possible sometimes even earlier than 20 weeks old because the hatchery has to make room for so many more. Thousands at a time keep the production going. Remember that for the weeks prior, these hens have different living arrangements that may have literally cramped their style. Also, all of the trauma from dark to light and from this tractor to that truck to your distributor and then to your vehicle is a lot for these birds to swallow all at once. Unless you have a predator that you don't know about, soon they will establish themselves. Good luck!

P.S. I believe the hatchery issues a guarantee for "duds", but the exchange may take a while.

I hope you can work through your disappointments and find joy in your "little flock." ;) Remember...a watched pot never boils! Give things time, work on other things for now. Build your coop, make nesting boxes, create a bond between you and your chickens. They will eventually lay, but in due time.
We have had chickens for about 10 years. I lost one whole flock due to a flood. Our last chickens we gave away because we moved and had no place at the time for chickens. Right now we have 5 hens and one rooster. They are Black Jersey Giants. They are now approximately 8 months old. No eggs yet, but soon. I have always kept my chickens penned, never let them free graze.To me fresh yard eggs are the ultimate best! They are definately worth the wait.
Wish you luck.

First of all this is the time of year due to the lack of sunshine, will slow down their production of their eggs. These chicken should be laying @ 8 months. What you can do so to have a constance source of eggs is to add a light to their Hen house with a timer. I set mine to go on at 5 AM and off at 7 AM, then back on at 5 PM to 8 PM. Some folks may not prefer this because you are tricking the chickens. I have around 40+ and they don't seem to mind it at all, but then again I have not been invited to any of their Union Meetings! By the way if you have friends that brew beer, ask them for the mash after they are done brewing. The chickens love it. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom