Still no eggs...

Thanks! I found them on amazon for $25!
yesss.gif
Certainly seems like the most cost effective way to go. Shoot, at that price at least it's not a major loss if they don't work for the chooks. I can always use them on my back deck. I plan on putting the solar collector on the roof of the coop rather than in the ground. I have two and four year old boys that can (and likely will) break anything that comes within 50 feet of them.

Moving birds to a new environment is very stressful for the birds. It will take them some time to adjust to their new surroundings. A few weeks perhaps. They will start moving out of the barn when they are comfortable. This process will take time. Just be patient and they will start laying and will go outside. Took my new girls several weeks before they ventured outside.

I guess I kept mine in the pen for 2 weeks before I let them free range around my yard. The pullets are still hard to corral back into the pen. My wife won't let them out while I am gone because she doesn't want to deal with chasing them back to their pen.

I guess I kept mine in the pen for 2 weeks before I let them free range around my yard. The pullets are still hard to corral back into the pen. My wife won't let them out while I am gone because she doesn't want to deal with chasing them back to their pen.
Yeah, my wife won't do that by herself at ALL..Seriously she is afraid of Hummingbirds. It's funny to watch. If it's safe to leave the pen open, wait to see if they pen themselves at night. Mine put themselves to pen every night on their own.

Yeah, my wife won't do that by herself at ALL..Seriously she is afraid of Hummingbirds. It's funny to watch. If it's safe to leave the pen open, wait to see if they pen themselves at night. Mine put themselves to pen every night on their own.

We let ours out of the pen about an hour before dark to roam the yard. We stand guard to keep them out of the active garden & to keep them from becoming a before bed time snack for one of the many hawks we have cruising our skies. They reenter the pen & coop on their own accord shortly before dark.

I don't know what breed they are, but I've been waiting for 8 months for my Wyandottes to lay. There is a chance the guy lied and you need to keep waiting longer. Chicken's freak easily, try to offer some scratch and not spend too much time around for a while. Once they settle a little, you can try establishing a relationship with them.
wyandottes have a 18 month mature time. they start to lay much later than allot of breeds.

When I am get home from work and get my son from football practice and have no more running around to do I let them out to run around the yard until dark but they don't seem to go on their own. I want to get them in while I still have light to see and maybe that is a little too early for them to go on their own. I only have 2.3 acres and my fence rows are all brushy and they love to get in those and scratch around. They also use that for cover when I am trying to get them put up. My pullets are Golden Laced Wyandote and they are a fast bunch compared to the Rhode Island Reds. I can corner them and catch the Reds easier. I can't wait for the pullets to be able to mix in with the other chickens where I can leave both their pens open to the run. They are only about 4 months old still. My son is 12 and he is pretty decent at gathering up the chickens and fast enough to chase them if they are being difficult. My wife will not run after the chickens.

So my Golden laced Wyandotes are only 4 months old and I have to wait for 18 months for eggs? I may eat them before waiting that long for eggs.

full maturity is at around 18 months but like Marktoo mentioned they will lay sooner then 18 months but with other breeds starting to lay around 16-18 weeks they start laying considerably later

Back
Top Bottom