Still picking tomatoes?

sourland

Broody Magician
Premium Feather Member
14 Years
May 3, 2009
New Jersey
Is anyone else still picking tomatoes? Here in West central NJ we have not had a frost yet, and I am still picking tomatoes. This year I planted ten plants of six different heirloom varieties and I am still picking several tomatoes daily. I'm loving it - I never tire of BLT, Kielbasa and tomatoe, bologna and tomatoe, or pork roll and tomatoe sandwiches for lunch daily.
droolin.gif

How I wish! Add tomatoes to the list of foods Gritty can't have. Nothing better than a tomato (fresh from the garden) and mayo sandwich. Or fried green tomatoes!
droolin.gif

Yep, same here.

I don't know WHAT I was thinking when I planted 25 plants.... I have so many "maters" I've resorted to washing them and putting them whole into freezer bags & tossing into the freezer. I guess I will toss them into soups & stews and spaghetti sauce when it's cold and snowy.

Oh and yeah, we are eating them like apples.....

What are you doing up this time of night? Aren't you old farts supposed to go to bed with the chickens?

Over the summer, ours pretty much cooked before they ripened from the heat - but now, they plants have revived, and are LOADED with tomatoes! Another week or so and we should have a bumper crop. Our peppers are also going crazy again...yum!

One of these heirloom varieties is still green when it is ripe? Really a weird, ugly looking tomatoe, but it tastes great. The leaves are mostly starting to die, but the tomatoes are not rotting - they continue to ripen.

Good on you sour! The deer have cleaned us out this year, not to mention all the squirrels and birds!

Hey Gritty, aren't you supposed to be cleaning like a madwoman?
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom