Still too early to sex them... But look at this difference..

lswatson111304

Songster
10 Years
Sep 18, 2009
Milano, TX
I know they are still young, but I bought these 3 chicks at the same time, they are all about the same size, and all are mixed. I realize that it is too early, and because they are mixed that makes it harder, but two of them have such more noticeable combs than one. One of them looks like it is even pinking up a bit. I also don't even know for sure how old they are. I think they are going on 3 weeks right now. SO yeah, tiny babies.

41471_dsc01107_edited-1.jpg

This is the one that in person it seems to be pinking up. It is also the one that always tries to fly out of the brooder when I open it up! LOL
41471_dsc01122_edited-1.jpg

Barely any comb at all
41471_dsc01116_edited-1.jpg

Thank you. That's what I was thinking but I'm new to babies. The last time I had chickens they came to me at like 7 weeks, and the ones before that were adults.

So Ummm...
Dinner, Dinner, Breakfast?? LOL Kidding!!

Quote:
Nah, it really depends on the breed. My leghorns all had combs that big and they were all girls. The pinkness could be an issue however. As for OP, second one probably roo, but too young for me to say for sure.

4 weeks or so female leghorn:

CIMG0741.jpg

Last edited:
I would not base any differences in comb size right now. They are mixed as you said, so different breeds have different kinds and sizes of combs. Post pictures in a few weeks and perhaps you'll have a more accurate forecast. Until then, enjoy the fuzzy butts!

I'm certianly no expert but I would think it differs from breed to breed-I have noticed both feathering and comb developement vary from one to another. I have 5 chicks all are nearly 4 weeks old. My red star sex link girls have very little combs, BO has even less, Dominique who supposedly is able to be sex linked as female, has the largest comb, and my Australorp is not too far behind. No one is pink yet
fl.gif

I got leghorns and blue Andalusians last month. I could tell which were boys and girls VERY early on b/c their combs grow amazingly fast. I was dead on right, so you probably are too! Mine are 6 or 7 weeks old now I can tell what almost all the breeds are by their coloring and comb size now. All of the Mediterranean breed boys have HUGE red combs for their age! And my Speckled Sussex boys' aren't much smaller!

Back
Top Bottom