stinky egg freckles?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by technodoll, Jan 1, 2010.

1. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    I've noticed that the most of the freckled eggs my girls lay smell of poop when you sniff them - is this normal?

If I gently scrub the egg under running water with a dish sponge and a bit of soap, the freckles (and the stink) wash off.

What's the deal? [​IMG]

2. RAWR

RAWR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    i think its just the way that works...i mean...it all comes out the same hole you know >.>

3. technodoll

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    I thought the freckles were supposed to be IN the shell, mixed with the color... [​IMG]

4. Stephanie-n-Hayden

Stephanie-n-Hayden Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Hey, we all learn from this site. Right? I have learned, just now, that those "speckled" eggs that my RIR lays sometimes are not intended to be speckled at all. OMG!

Seriously though, I read somewhere that it was not good to scrub the egg before storing it because it scrubbed away the coating that kept bacteria out. But, those "speckles" don't come off easily. So, I just fugured they were "suppose" to be there. Guess I was WAY WRONG!! GROSS!! I will now scrub the eggs nice and good, especially if they are "speckled". [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. technodoll

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    I just sniff each speckled egg, some don't smell at all and some have DA FUNK [​IMG]

Since I sell these eggs, I can't have customers wondering where that poo smell comes from every time they open a carton... [​IMG]

Scrub, scrub, scrub!

6. jojo54

jojo54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    BC Canada
    [​IMG]I've never thought to smell eggs! What made you think about doing that?

7. RocketDad

RocketDad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2008
    Near US 287
    My Red Star lays freckled eggs. If you look at a speckled or freckled egg with a good lens, you can see that they are dimpled in, not bumped up above the regular shell surface. I think that the dimpled area takes more of the brown pigment, as it's rougher.

In addition, the surface area may pick up more poo on the way out, depending on how long between the last poop and the egg laying. I haven't noticed any smell, but I cold-water rinse and towel dry all the eggs that go out the door to the neighbors just on general principles.

8. technodoll

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    Ah, so these are not real freckled eggs I'm getting, as the "freckles" are on TOP of the egg, you can scratch them off with your fingernail.

Although that's really gross cuz it's POOP! [​IMG]

No wonder they stink!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by