Stinky Hatcher (even after bleaching)

TheMisfitRanch

In the Brooder
May 17, 2015
37
3
26
Lewisburg, Louisiana
So I'm using the little giant still air incubator as a hatcher. It's in the same shed as the brooders so I thought the smell was the brooders. No...the hatcher smelled like mildew. It was so strong I felt bad about keeping the newly hatched ones in there to dry. After I put the babies in the brooder, I hosed off the bottom and screen of the incubator and cleaned it with the spray I clean the gecko cages with and dried it. Turned it back on and when I went to put another batch of eggs it was stinky again. Soaked it in bleach for a little while because it's Styrofoam. I thought I solved the problem but I went check temps and could smell that moldy gross smell coming from it. My incubator is in my closet and it never stinks. Is it because of the different bacteria outside? What can I do?
 

Sonya9

Crowing
7 Years
Feb 7, 2014
1,899
1,142
291
Georgia
Bleach is only good for non-porous materials, styrofoam is porous and the mildew roots actually grow into it. The chlorine molecules in bleach stay on the surface and only the water in bleach gets suck into the tiny gaps.

You can try borax (make a past and slather it on). Vinegar might help too.

Another option is a hydrogen peroxide. Another options is hydrogen peroxide and vinegar, that makes a very powerful disinfectant often used on small animal cages but be warned, do NOT mix the two in the same bottle as that becomes toxic when it sits for a while. Spray one and then spray the other so they combine briefly on the surface you are cleaning.

http://blackmold.awardspace.com/kill-remove-mold.html
 
Last edited:

TheMisfitRanch

In the Brooder
May 17, 2015
37
3
26
Lewisburg, Louisiana
Bleach is only good for non-porous materials, styrofoam is porous and the mildew roots actually grow into it. The chlorine molecules in bleach stay on the surface and only the water in bleach gets suck into the tiny gaps.

You can try borax (make a past and slather it on). Vinegar might help too.

Another option is a hydrogen peroxide. Another options is hydrogen peroxide and vinegar, that makes a very powerful disinfectant often used on small animal cages but be warned, do NOT mix the two in the same bottle as that becomes toxic when it sits for a while. Spray one and then spray the other so they combine briefly on the surface you are cleaning.

http://blackmold.awardspace.com/kill-remove-mold.html


Thank you! Definitely going to try. Then I might just go ahead and make a hatcher out of something easier to clean. I'm sure I could use the heater from the little giant.
 

New posts New threads Active threads

Top Bottom