Stinky in bator please help

madgabmomma

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 2, 2011
SE Texas
I had 2 of my 12 bantam eggs hatch on days 19 and 20 and then yesterday on hatch day nothing. Today is day 22 and there is a pretty rank smell coming from inside the bator. I also set 5 quail eggs in there for lock down yesterday. So do I just leave it alone or am I gonna have some nasty explosion of rotten eggs in there? Maybe it's just from the 2 egg shells left in there from the hatched chicks? I really don't wanna mess up the chances of the rest hatching by opening especially since it might take a minute to figure out who the smelly culprit is, but at the same time I don't want an explosion. I'm not really counting on the rest of the bantams hatching as there is no chirping, movement or piping at this point but I think there's a good chance for my quail. I know it's really my call but I'm just looking for opinions and advice please!! This is only my second time hatching and it's just not going like I hoped!
sad.png
idunno.gif

I did a staggered hatch about two months ago, and by the end it definitely reeked. I couldn't clean it because eggs were still pipping and hatching. It went over a week with hatch gunk in it. They were all fine at the time and are doing well now.

It's because of the other chicks hatching. I staggered a hatch of Polish and Cochins last year, the Cochins were 3 days before the Polish, and the incubator literally smelled like a dead animal. Now I have two bators--one for incubating, one just for lockdown and hatching--no smell, and healthier for the chicks.

Quote:
I have 2 bators also, one for incubation and one for lock down and hatch. I just didn't plan very well and had to lock down my quail eggs before my bantam chicks were done hatching
sad.png
I guess I'm just gonna leave it alone and see what happens. Thanks!

It's because of the other chicks hatching. I staggered a hatch of Polish and Cochins last year, the Cochins were 3 days before the Polish, and the incubator literally smelled like a dead animal. Now I have two bators--one for incubating, one just for lockdown and hatching--no smell, and healthier for the chicks.
I love this idea!

Back
Top Bottom