Stinky poop- Help!

1keegan

Songster
8 Years
Jan 11, 2012
We have 6 chicks of different breeds- 5 came as day-olds from Ideal and one we hatched ourselves several days later. They're 4 weeks old. Often, some/all of them have loose green, puddling, VERY STINKY poop for the past few days. Not all of them all the time, it seems to be intermittent. The worst one is the Phoenix (could loose droppings be breed related?)

We keep them in our diningroom in a large clean horse tank, so they have plenty of room, and we're changing the newspaper 2-3 times a day. They're eating medicated chick feed from Fleet Farm. Water gets changed everytime we see one of them poop in it. They have a light bulb with reflector and don't seem to be huddling or acting sick in any way.

Last week we offered them rye bread for a treat, which they devoured, but since the stinky poo started, we haven't given them anything other than their feed.
We'd planned to keep them in the diningroom for the best socialization, but wow, the smell just about knocks your socks off sometimes. To avoid banishment of the tank to the basement, we sure could use some advice on how to get back to those solid droppings .

Any advice?

TIA

try adding electrolytes to their water. even powerade helps.
i dont feed my chicks any scraps either. not sure if that causes that.
I have had some chicks come to me with stinky runny poop. Usually they just out grow it. If they are young i assume its the yolk starting to clear outta their bellies as they start to eat solid foods.
Try also using Flake pine shavings.
i dont use newspaper either. It seems to keep the poop and smells on the surface for them to step on it. plus its easy to just scoop out and change.

raise their waterer with a block of wood or something as well. this will help keep them from pooping in it or splashing it around causing a bigger and stinkier mess.

Hope it gets better!

We have 8 chicks right now and only one (the one that's 2 weeks older than the others) has very stinky runny poop. We've had them for 2 weeks and they all eat exactly the same thing. Why does this one stink so much?!

Back
Top Bottom