Stinky, Wet Duck Coop.......YUCK! Use "Sweet PDZ"?

poultrypalooza

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 7, 2014
Has anyone ever used the product "Sweet PDZ Stall Refresher" in their duck coops to help eliminate odor? I've been trying to find a product to help with the moisture and smell in my duck coop as they are quite stinky at times. The information on this product says it is safe for animals and humans, but it comes in a granular form and I'm afraid the ducks may eat it. I would be very grateful for any information/advice about this product.

My chickens and ducks eat it all the time. It's safe for them. It is even safe in the compost pile! Helps with smell not so much with moisture unless you use alot of it. I buy at at tractor supply. Or the feed store it's normally with the horse stuff.

Last edited:
My chickens and ducks eat it all the time. It's safe for them. It is even safe in the compost pile! I buy at at tractor supply. Or the feed store it's normally with the horse stuff.
Really?!? They eat it? What exactly is the stuff made of? I've only just heard about it and it sounded like it might be the answer to my "stinky" issue. :) Does it help eliminate the smell?

What about something like this?

I sprinkle Sweet PDZ under the bedding when I put in new shavings, it can help, but spot-picking first thing in the morning to keep the bedding less moist, and the watering station above mean the bedding is not at all stinky. From time to time, someone will make one of those eye-burning poops, but that's just occasional and not a stinky bedding problem.

The coop itself isn't very stinky at all. The problem area is out in their yard right in front of the water pans. I have the pans on a raised area like Dave Holderread recommends in "Storey's Guide". That has helped keep the water pans cleaner and the ground less wet, but we've had A LOT of rain this summer and at times the run is SO gross and stinky!!! I am excited to try the Sweet PDZ in this area. I'm hoping it will help with the smell.

Found
this on the the sweet Pdz website

This was recommended to me for moisture.

The material you are thinking of is pine pellets for horses. TSC has them and it's about $6 a bag.

You may be better off just doing smaller groups in tubs till you get your green house done. If you haven't noticed already it needs to get done ASAP. I have pekins and they are pretty much full grown now at 8 weeks. I have a pallet as a base for our house but with the amount of work that went into it you are better off just putting all your energy and time into their real house to get them out there.

The smaller the area the harder it is to keep clean and dry. The more room you have the better, which is why 3-4 large tubs might be better at this point. They grow really fast. Try a puppy pad under the pellets and shavings.

I just get excited, I looked it up
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/tractor-supply-coreg;-pine-pellet-stall-bedding-40-lb

Tractor Supply Co.
00ae.png
Pine Pellet Stall Bedding will save you time, storage space and money. Made from environmentally friendly, all natural pine, Tractor Supply Co.
00ae.png
provides a comfortable sterile bedding layer, while neutralizing odor and absorbing moisture on contact. Your stall will be clean, dry and odor free. There will also be a reduction in the volume of waste materials generated - up to 50%, creating a higher quality compost product. Tractor Supply Co.
00ae.png
lasts much longer in the stall so that you can enjoy the time saved with your horse.

I ve looked at that and always wonder if they would eat it? And if that would be safe? I always see those bags out side of tsc a lot of times they have it marked down because of busted bag issues too! Does anybody use it?

Back
Top Bottom