Stock density of day-range freedom rangers and rotation schedule

Fantastic information Brunty.

I know how to successfully raise a meat bird in an efficient amount of time to be profitable, it was the logistics of rotation that was stumping me. Of course the more elegant way is the better way.

Luckly a number of the acres already have chicken barns on them. The whole property was a chicken hatchery in the 1950's, so there is 4 very large barns already on the property.

As for the season, we have mild winters, but due to coccidosis, I would prefer to not range during winter, as you alluded to. We have an extremely dry summer (northern California), but I would be irrigating rested paddocks.

Again, thank you for the invaluable information. I would have to re-read it a couple times to completely digest it (its that good).

Quote:
Thank you for the info.

Honestly, I don't like Joel's method of raising broilers. He still uses the cornish X's, so they don't move around a lot, which is fine for his type of confinement system; however, I prefer the electric net fencing method, keeps predators our (most) and allows the birds freedom. Joel's method is also extremely expensive and labor intensive, with no foreseeable benefits.

As a pseudo-Buddhist, I believe that when I raise and process an animal, that I could be killing my mother from a past life; this means I MUST be humane and respectful to their lives.

Last edited:
I practice pasture rotation on a weekly basis. You can fit up to four hundred birds in one acre, but you will have to move within a week before they do damage to the pasture near the coops. We use 200' x 200' electric poultry netting, with the energizer powered by 90 watts of amorphous solar panels connected to a marine battery. It's best that you don't circle back on the land within the same year due to pathogens. I highly recommend an LGD.

Last edited:
Awesome TDM.

200'x200' eh? That isn't made by Premier is it?

As for pathogens, have you had problems?

What is an LGD?

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes, it is Premier's Permanet, 48" double spike. LGD is an acronym for livestock guardian dog, in this case a Great Pyrenees. I recommend a LGD due to recently having a wolf or coyote attack during the early afternoon. The fence was knocked down. It appeared the animal got its head stuck in the net and thrashed around while getting zapped. Some birds were missing, and a half eaten carcass was found. Other times I would find hawks on the ground inside the fence. The LGD discourages these predators, and since she has been out there, no attacks have occurred.

From reading, pathogens can really wreck havoc on a free ranging flock, and was one of the reasons to raising chickens indoors. The trick is to avoid contaminated pasture until it has had time to recover.

An example of pathogens affecting a free ranging flock:

http://www.worldpoultry.net/chicken...g-production-drops-from-brachyspira-7816.html

Last edited:
That pdf is very informative. Thank you. I can't believe I missed it on Attra's website (I spend to much time there...)

Back
Top Bottom