Stock Tank Pond Setup

BYBirdNewbie2020

In the Brooder
May 24, 2020
Hi All. We are in the process of building coops and runs for 8 week old ducks and chickens. We are planning to use the 300 gal stock tank for the pond. It has a drain, but I am thinking a pump / filtration system might be a good idea - however I am reading contrary opinions. I’d really like to only manage the pond on a weekly vs daily basis. What is the best option? We have 2 Pekins.

With that volume of water and just a couple ducks it might be ok to change it once a week.

I am not sure a pump will hold up to the things ducks drop in the water....like feathers, rocks and pebbles.

A filtration system might work BUT would need a pump not sitting on the bottom so not actually cleaning the muck out.

We have a drain and valve on the bottom of our raised pool. The valve can be opened and all of the water goes out through that valve and waters our fruit trees. With two ducks, I second 21hens... you might be ok with not changing the water out as often. I will say also that the filters struggle with feathers and "duck muck".

Our first pool was an inexpensive pool for less than $10 to see what the actual situation was. It ended up being moved a few times before being replaced by the better pool with the bottom drain valve. If we decide we're sure about the placement of it, we'll place something more permanent.

Back
Top Bottom