"Stocking up on chickens" Covid-19 chat

I spent about 4 or 5 years researching before we got our first chicken. The idea of impulse buying any animal chills me.
A few years back someone (not the parents ) bought Easter chicks for 2 children who lived in an apartment with no yard. They lived in the bath tub. Needless to say, Mom called me and begged me to take them, as they could not care for the chicks. And of course I did.

I want to say that I would fall into the first time chicken owner during COVID. When I posted pictures of them on Facebook, multiple people commented with articles about people panic buying chickens. I didn't realise it was a thing!
Regardless, I have been lurking this site a bit (I did do research before I got mine, this site helped) and I just signed up for an account. So far I have been thankful for how welcoming and helpful everyone has been!! When I learned there was a trend of people buying chicks, I was worried people might be standoffish when trying to get help/learn. So happy that hasn't been the case!!!
I hope that nobody is refused help no matter the circumstances of them getting birds, obviously there are more people like you who recently got chickens and not as a panic buying, I hope you are enjoying raising your chickens, I am glad you found this site and have a community of people who are able to help you, good luck raising your chicks I hope you enjoy it I know I certainly do

I don't know how they could track whether it is a new chicken owner or not. Maybe track how many crappy, pre-fab "coops" are being bought.

Hey hey we bought one of those when we were new 🤣 I so regret that decision and we realized it was so much cheaper to make our own, but that is actually a perfect way to check how many new chicken owners there were this spring 😂

I just saw a post on Facebook about someone who just picked up chicks today and was wondering how to keep them warm. She turned on a heater in the room, which I guess is better than nothing. I don’t even have my chicks yet and I know how to set up a brooder. These are things you can easily find out in this day and age! Now I’m worried about those chicks (myself and others directed her to heat lamp/plates) and others that have been brought home into situations that are not ready for them. Do they know about the different types of feed? Are they checking their butts? Is the coop ready? Now my mama instinct are kicking in and I’m all concerned for the little chicks!

I just saw a post on Facebook about someone who just picked up chicks today and was wondering how to keep them warm. She turned on a heater in the room, which I guess is better than nothing. I don’t even have my chicks yet and I know how to set up a brooder. These are things you can easily find out in this day and age! Now I’m worried about those chicks (myself and others directed her to heat lamp/plates) and others that have been brought home into situations that are not ready for them. Do they know about the different types of feed? Are they checking their butts? Is the coop ready? Now my mama instinct are kicking in and I’m all concerned for the little chicks!
I have just been thinking of people that won't want them once they figure out they are a lot of work somehow it completely slipped my mind that people would get chicks and not be raising them right (should've thought if that it seems obviously now lol) I feel bad for those chicks, I really hope people are smart enough to do at least basic research like heat lamps and stuff

@Tigerkity Just wait until they are grown up and you can sit outside and watch chicken TV. It is the best way to unwind ever. My chickens freak out when I toss them some BOSS, but them come running back and chatter away as they look for the treats in the grass. Once, one of mine found a big June-bug and I got to watch Chicken Football as a bonus.:lau
Welcome to BYC!! Home of the Chicken enablers

I didn’t think about the old bedding! I live out in the country too so I just throw it into an unused field that I am gonna turn into my compost area soon. But what about the people in small cities or small properties.
I live in a city (limit of 12 poultry) I currently have 7 birds and since it's a small flock they are in a small coop (although currently a big coop is in construction) and so I'm able to just throw away the bedding, normally takes up one trash bag full

Pullets are sold out but Meyer hatchery has day old chicks. this is the one closest to me. Plenty of chicks at TS Stores here also. Some people will mess up and they will have dead chicks, some people will re-home them, some people will turn into a crazy chicken lady like me! I think there will be an up tick in serious chicken keepers and that is great. I think some city counsels will have to rewrite their anti chicken laws. Keep an eye out on community boards and craiglist you might get new equipment cheap or free chickens. This is an opportunity to expand the world of chickens keepers. To me it makes more sense than the whole toilet paper hoarding that was happening.
I didn't even think about chicken laws, I really hope cities will up limits and allow chickens

The woman having the screaming fit at the store was not allowed to return the TP, but she insisted the store manager "come up and process her return". The manager showed up to the service desk and he brought 2 large stock boys with him - to "help her out with her supplies". The manager and one guy walked her out and the other stayed with the poor gal behind the counter to make sure she was OK.

With the virus, the store policy is no returns. PERIOD.
Yeah, I personally agree with it, who knows the supplies could be infected with COVID 19 and also discourages people to over stock on stuff (buying most or all of a stock and hoarding is illegal even when it's not a pandemic because then other people can't get supplies like how it is now) and as soon as stores started no return polices on to panic buying stopped or at least it saw a giant slow down

Back
Top Bottom