Worms/maggots/other bugs on my chicken

kylara70

Songster
13 Years
May 13, 2010
I have lost 6 chicks and 2 adult chickens. Now I have an adult chicken with weird wormy things all over her back half. They are not just in the immediate vent area, but in the feathers out around the back third of the chicken. They are dropping off her at an alarming rate now that I rinsed her thoroughly. Here is what they look like. Help me, please. I thought we were dealing with cocciodosis and been treating everyone with corid. Now this girl is sickly and I find this infestation. I have captured and popped over a hundred of them. I don’t think they are standard maggots (seen many). Maybe from some other kind of fly? What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_4198.jpeg
    IMG_4198.jpeg
    285 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4197.jpeg
    IMG_4197.jpeg
    240.5 KB · Views: 9
:sick Whatever they are, it isn't good! Apply permethrin dust or spray, shampoo her in permethrin type shampoo, look for injuries. No time to waste here. Maggots can be inside the vent, anywhere. And don't handle them! Gloves, permethrin, rinsing, and kill them with something other than your hand!
There will be eggs on this bird too, get them off also.
I'd spray the coop with permethrin, at least, and examine all your birds.
You can google 'insect larvae and maggots', might help with identification. Or your local entamologist, if you are near a university.
Mary

Thank you Mary, for the suggestion of what to look for on Google. Very helpful. Thank you coach for the confirmation and encouragement.

I have determined that they are indeed maggots of some kind and I have removed as many as I can find and washed with soap and water and applied neosporin. I do not think this chicken will
Survive, but I am trying my best. I will
Hope and pray while treating. I know blu-kote is not popular for various reasons but would it kill/scare off the maggots that are hiding in the wound? I did apply dawn and got some more out that way. Ugh!

I personally don't like blu-kote, it makes it hard to see the tissue and see if normal healing is happening. I think you are on the right track and would keep flushing the wound and removing all you can find. You can also use chlorhexidine (Hibiclens, widely available in pharmacies, even walmart). And them reapply the ointment each time. If none of them have reached the abdominal cavity, she has a chance to recover. There are screw worm or screw fly sprays that are intended for use on wounds like this that some people use, to help kill them. Those would be at feed stores. If you are vigilant, then the numbers you find should start reducing with each time.

Fly strike often happens because of illness or an injury, so don't be too suprised if she doesn't survive.
BUT this is a real emergency, those maggots will eat her alive! Fly eggs hatch in 24 hours, and maggots are eating through flesh in another 24 hours. Awful!
Mary

Last edited:
Fly strike often happens because of illness or an injury, so don't be too suprised if she doesn't survive.
BUT this is a real emergency, those maggots will eat her alive! Fly eggs hatch in 24 hours, and maggots are eating through flesh in another 24 hours. Awful!
Mary
Thanks for the info. Ya’ll Rick! Unfortunately, it was too late for my poor girl. I was dealing with an illness outbreak in my flock at the time (did not know what), and I am sure that is why she got the flystrike. She died that afternoon and I am traumatized from dealing with the maggots. :sick

Back
Top Bottom