"Stocking up on chickens" Covid-19 chat

I want to say that I would fall into the first time chicken owner during COVID. When I posted pictures of them on Facebook, multiple people commented with articles about people panic buying chickens. I didn't realise it was a thing!
Regardless, I have been lurking this site a bit (I did do research before I got mine, this site helped) and I just signed up for an account. So far I have been thankful for how welcoming and helpful everyone has been!! When I learned there was a trend of people buying chicks, I was worried people might be standoffish when trying to get help/learn. So happy that hasn't been the case!!!
I hope that nobody is refused help no matter the circumstances of them getting birds, obviously there are more people like you who recently got chickens and not as a panic buying, I hope you are enjoying raising your chickens, I am glad you found this site and have a community of people who are able to help you, good luck raising your chicks I hope you enjoy it I know I certainly do

I can't wait to look back on my posts and laugh at how naive I am currently. There is so much to learn! I have been reading so many books and articles about chickens the past couple of weeks, its been great. As I mentioned in my introduction post on this site, I work in the emergency management/disaster field so times have been stressful, busy, out of routine lately. Watching my chicks change and grow each day, plus being able to disconnect from work stuff and just dive into chicken stuff periodically has honestly kept me sane these past couple of weeks.

I also look forward to...while also morning the implications of, the potential of nearly new chicken supplies/equipment in a few months.

I'm glad that this thread has been started. I have been worried about people that have been panic buying chick's not realizing how long that they will have to wait to get egg's from the pullet's. I just hope that many of the newbies that are joining BYC recently are here to properly take care of the new chick's if they were some of the one's that were panic buying them.

I want to say that I would fall into the first time chicken owner during COVID. When I posted pictures of them on Facebook, multiple people commented with articles about people panic buying chickens. I didn't realise it was a thing!
Regardless, I have been lurking this site a bit (I did do research before I got mine, this site helped) and I just signed up for an account. So far I have been thankful for how welcoming and helpful everyone has been!! When I learned there was a trend of people buying chicks, I was worried people might be standoffish when trying to get help/learn. So happy that hasn't been the case!!!
@Tigerkity Welcome :frow from New Orleans. This is a great place to come for information and just to chat. There are very knowledgable, caring people, who will be happy to help with the simplist questions. Most are understanding and will call on others to help you if they don't know the answer. Glad to have you here and don't forget to check in on your state's site. Last year I got 4 beautiful pullets from a member 45 mins away. Hope you enjoy BYC as much as I have.

@Tigerkity Just wait until they are grown up and you can sit outside and watch chicken TV. It is the best way to unwind ever. My chickens freak out when I toss them some BOSS, but them come running back and chatter away as they look for the treats in the grass. Once, one of mine found a big June-bug and I got to watch Chicken Football as a bonus.:lau
Welcome to BYC!! Home of the Chicken enablers

I didn’t realize it was a a thing either! I think we’re both in the same category. I don’t even have my chicks yet since they’re all sold out right now and I have to pick up in June. But it has always been my plan to get chickens and so I see this as unfortunate timing more than anything.

@Tigerkity Just wait until they are grown up and you can sit outside and watch chicken TV. It is the best way to unwind ever. My chickens freak out when I toss them some BOSS, but them come running back and chatter away as they look for the treats in the grass. Once, one of mine found a big June-bug and I got to watch Chicken Football as a bonus.:lau
Welcome to BYC!! Home of the Chicken enablers
IMG_20200409_100044.jpg

I have some pretty awesome coworkers to keep me company during my work conference calls. 😁

@Kafen I don't think I would be able to hatch chicks myself!

Also something that might help around here where I live is when I bought my chicks, the store took down my name and address, phone number. He said the state ag department (or some state department) required they send all that info for people who buy chicks. I do wish though that they had copies of the various chicken ordinances for the nearby cities or had it posted how many chickens you could have. I mean I would hope that one already did research before they were at the store and bought chicks but I think it would be responsible for the store to post just in case.

@Tigerkity and @Kafen I don't think y'all fall into the panic buying thing. Both of you are doing research, asking questions and joining a site that will help with first timer questions. As one of you said you just happen to be starting a flock at an unfortunate time. I think your flock will be happy and healthy and I hope you enjoy them.
We have a granddaughter, when she stays here, she loves to get up in the morning and help DH feed the girls, feed treats (they even let her pet them ) I guess she is the treat toddler. She gets to pick up any eggs that have been laid early, and loves to sit in her high chair to watch the egg she just got from outside scrambled and cooked. Then she eats it. She thinks this is a wonderful thing, you take care of the hen and the hen takes care of you. :drool:lol:

Back
Top Bottom