Stomping hen?

UP_Chicken_Lover

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 21, 2008
Western UP of MI
One of the girls will run over to the door - stand with her wings out - sort of folded and drum her feet like a partridge. Now, we had Partridge hanging out with the girls this fall - but what is up with the dancing?

Has anyone ever seen this from Black Sex Links before? AND are they REALLY friendly birds!! LOL

LOL, no black sex links here, but Hubby just informed me that one of our roosters is an escape artist.

I do think they can learn, maybe they learned the behaviour?

How flattering! Your girl is offering you respect- she wants you to stroke her back and gently pluck at her neck feathers. Is she laying yet? If not watch for red on the face and eggs...you are her 'human roo'.
wink.png

Awwwww chicken love at it's finest.
love.gif
She is also heading towards laying if she has not started already.

Mine do the 'egg dance' they squat and thump thump thump. hehehehehe

Same thing started happened to me a while back. From what everyone told me on the forums she is striking her mating pose and thinks you are the rooster. Silly girl. It is funny though the little thunder stomp they do.

There is another thread buried in here where someone suggested that her grandma used to stroke them along the inside of the Wingline/belly under the wing when they did this and she swore it helped them lay.

I figured at the time if it helped them to think they were mated to lay, then Ill rub their bellies. Anyhoo It seemed to work, couple days later the girl was laying.. Now every day I get to rub them one at a time. Dont know if it actually does anything or if it was great timing, but it doesnt hurt to give it a shot.

Oh yea the first one to do this was my Black sexlink followed by my Reds and Wels

Quote:
I had some EEs that would stop laying unless you petted them when they squatted. I am of the opinion that keeping them "roostered" up helps with egg production.

I've got one doing that already lol, no eggs yet and I can't remember which one she is LOLL so I've been trying to find out by stroking all the chickens backs to see which one either stomps or stands still with her wings out. It's not working out very well LOL.

Well I'm getting 3 eggs a day now (2 in the morning and 1 at night) and I think she's laying the little dark brown one. All of the hens line up to be "petted" (great I've been molesting my chickens and didn't know it... lmao) I pat their heads and pat them on the back and stroke their feathers... lol I thought it was rather odd that they all FREEZE and strike that pose when my hand comes down... but only one thumps...

So - this is why the girls are laying??? lol

3 eggs so far this week -
7 eggs last week
5 eggs the week before (first week they were laying)

Quote:
lmfao thats okay, i have 5 or 6 of my 15 waiting for their pettings, they come pick the snow off my boots and then squat like, "hi i cleaned your boots, now you scratch my back, yeppppppppp"

3 eggs so far this week - 3 more today - makes 6 so far this week
7 eggs last week
5 eggs the week before (first week they were laying

I think we have another girl laying the one I got tonight was a light brown, not dark brown.

We're thrilled at the eggs we're getting!!

Back
Top Bottom