Stool softener or bra?

bhawk-23

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Apr 12, 2020
East Central Illinois
I read through the article by @azygous and it would seem I should try the stool softener now BUT, she just pooped the nastiest poop ever, ON ME! šŸ¤¢

History:
2 year old Easter egger

Brought her in for a large hard tennis ball sized crop Wednesday evening to watch for emptying overnight (about 40 hrs ago). I had been watching her for 2 days as it seemed to not be emptying fully but she was foraging and acting completely normal.

Thursday morning it had no change. I attempted to syringe olive oil but ended up with a chicken head covered in oil and changed to 2 dime sized pieces of bread soaked in oil and attempted massaging. She is extremely uncooperative. After this she produced 3 runny poops (cecal-ish) that also had water because I could see the stain on the pee pads.

She has been laying regularly but I figured 1 calcium tablet(the one recommended on here) last night couldn't hurt her.

Still only has water.

This morning her crop is still extremely hard and not reduced in size whatsoever. It does seem to have moved downwards and more towards the center of her breast.

She laid an egg this morning and is still up and feisty, wanting food I'm sure.

I gave her more olive oil, syringed this time. I wrapped her in a towel knowing she would fight me. This time she blew out a poop like I've never smelled before.

Hence the question of laxative or crop bra.

Any help is extremely appreciated.

I appreciate that article because I had never even considered, or really know much about, pendulum (?) crop!

PXL_20220325_173639956~2.jpg
PXL_20220325_173639956.jpg

Thank you!

You need to get lots of oil into her, and massage the crop for five minutes after each dose of oil. Expect this procedure to take all day. This is a lot of work, but it will pay off.

You are doing yourself a disservice by not using coconut oil. It's so much easier and safer. Have you ever tasted popcorn made with coconut oil? It will inspire you to get some and try it.

You need to get lots of oil into her, and massage the crop for five minutes after each dose of oil. Expect this procedure to take all day. This is a lot of work, but it will pay off.

You are doing yourself a disservice by not using coconut oil. It's so much easier and safer. Have you ever tasted popcorn made with coconut oil? It will inspire you to get some and try it.
I will have to purchase coconut oil when I go out later. I have on hand olive, vegetable, peanut and grapeseed oils.

I'm hoping you are thinking an impacted crop since she pooped so forcefully?

So Esther eats the heck out of the coconut oil! Didn't see that one comingšŸ˜‚ but she seems quite painful when I massage. Tolerates it for about 3 minutes then I'm fighting for another few before I start to worry about stressing her out. Gave her a 3rd dose and quick massage just now and hoping to see some progress overnight.

I would have liked to try more but I literally chased one of my chickens around a few neighbors' yards until I finally just stood back and waited for her to roost somewhere to snatch her up. Took up about 3 hrs of my night and I missed the fish fry. But wow, that girl can fly! The neighbors were quite impressed. Me, not so much. šŸ¤¦

@azygous

She no longer wants the coconut oil which means I'm back to a struggle. I'll attach a picture of the poop from over night. She is wanting calcium so I gave some. I figured the last thing she needs is a reproductive issue from all of this.
Her crop is still firm and large, extremely close to the same size and firmness as yesterday. But she is moving some poop through her system. Do I need to try anything different or just keep going with the coconut oil, massage, water? I took the calcium away after she was done.
At what point do I worry about her lack of food? And she is not drinking as much as I'd like, but she is drinking some. She's up, talkative, preening and quite annoyed with me so those are all good signs I guess.
PXL_20220326_135954693.jpg

Do you think you can tube feed her? You would need some plastic tubing and an oral syringe to fit the tubing. It really very easy and safe. A vet could sell you a tube feeding kit for a small animal for very cheap.

I don't recommend tubing for more than a day or two since it takes away the normal urge to eat. But it can restore her strength so she's more likely to eat on her own.

Do you think you can tube feed her? You would need some plastic tubing and an oral syringe to fit the tubing. It really very easy and safe. A vet could sell you a tube feeding kit for a small animal for very cheap.

I don't recommend tubing for more than a day or two since it takes away the normal urge to eat. But it can restore her strength so she's more likely to eat on her own.
What's the difference between allowing her to eat or tubing her? Does it surpass the crop? Because she really wants to eat. When I let her out to move around she is searching for food.

Her poop is still that same as the morning one.

This morning her crop is still extremely hard and not reduced in size whatsoever. It does seem to have moved downwards and more towards the center of her breast.
If she were mine I would tube fluids. If you tube fluids, that should help get stuff moving through her digestive tract. Let me know if you want to learn how to tube and I will give you more instructions.

Tubing nutrients and fluids takes the food and water into the crop without the chicken needing to eat and swallow. When their appetite is very poor, this is a very good way to keep them from getting too weak. It's usually done for just a day or so to get the chicken nourished and hydrated. With this nourishment, they are usually then strong enough to want to start eating and drinking on their own again.

Every chicken keeper would do well to learn this life saving technique. It's much easier to do than your think and with proper instruction, it's very safe.

Tubing nutrients and fluids takes the food and water into the crop without the chicken needing to eat and swallow. When their appetite is very poor, this is a very good way to keep them from getting too weak. It's usually done for just a day or so to get the chicken nourished and hydrated. With this nourishment, they are usually then strong enough to want to start eating and drinking on their own again.

Every chicken keeper would do well to learn this life saving technique. It's much easier to do than your think and with proper instruction, it's very safe.
If she were mine I would tube fluids. If you tube fluids, that should help get stuff moving through her digestive tract. Let me know if you want to learn how to tube and I will give you more instructions.

Where do you get tubing? My vet is closed, maybe a pharmacy?

She is definitely in good spirits, up and moving, and searching for food still when I have her out. In about 15 hrs she has drank 1/3 cup water, I'm not sure what the norm is for a single chicken.

She is also becoming more tolerant to my massaging her crop which is promising. It is still really hard but maybe just slightly smaller.

Back
Top Bottom