STOP BATHING YOUR DUCKS/GEESE WITH SOAP

If a duck isn't bathing and preening I've spayed them with a hose. I bought some ducks that lived in a "too many ducks for space" and the drake stunk. He wouldn't preen or take a bath. When I'd wet him with the hose just to get the smell off, he tried to get the water off then after watching the ducks swim and preen, he finally realized " Oh hey I'm a duck that swims and preens" He still wasn't the cleanest of the group but he did bathe eventually.
I've found hand raising ducks the sooner they get into the water after hatch (starting at a week or so) the better their grooming habits are as adults. I've tried both ways no water and water. The no water ducklings had poor bath habits compared to the water ducklings.
I can't believe washing ducks with soap is a new trend. Too much social media I suppose and making ducks the new trend. I've never washed my ducks with soap. What a waste of time.

What do you do when you have a dick that can't stand to preen, is currently scared to swim, and is filthy? I have a three ducks struggling (yes they've all be treated, yes I've posted and gotten advice).

Give him a bath in fresh warm water and afterward use a towel to dry his feathers the best you can. If he can't spread the oils over his feathers I don't think there is much you can do to help other than what I just mentioned. But you can help him clean up.

So strange but I can believe it. I hose my drake's butt when he comes out of the coop in the AM and is messy - especially if he is starting to go after the girls. (they stay cleaner if he mates AFTER he is clean) It often inspires him to then at least do a bucket bath. I also sometimes throw him in the pool. He often settles in when he realizes he likes it and as warmer weather comes on, I assume that will be a lot.

Btw, all of this is good advise and when my hen who had wet feather got some real cleaning a few times, she got a LOT better. Still does not use her oil gland as much as I'd like (and is always a bit dingy) but after a good soak in warm water with me holding her down, she finally did begin to use it at times. It seems she just forgets. Not the brightest bulb that's for sure. Also the more independent wanderer.

Back
Top Bottom