STOP BATHING YOUR DUCKS/GEESE WITH SOAP

She preens constantly! Spends way too much time at it. Mostly because of how wet she is. And she gets so little out of it. Without sun or a light (hopefully warm) wind, she just does not dry. I feel so sorry for her. It seems to take her away from eating while the others get their fill.
The issue is not that she is not motivated to try to keep herself clean (and both of my other 2 do a GREAT job), it is that she does not seem to realize she has and should use the gland. It's almost like she just does not know it's there. That's why I tried to show her. My 3 (one is now gone) other muscovy use it instinctfully. This one just hasn't a clue. She also is what you could refer to as a runt. Very small (compared to the other hen) and I think was very used to being mated by all the drakes (regardless of breed) at the farm. In other words, she was very easy pickins and when my drake jumped on her the instant they met, she was ready to submit - she clearly had it down.
Are you giving her extra protein? Meal worms, dry dog food [good quality] some use cat food. The extra protein is good for feather quality.

:) Right. I will try extra protein. Hadn't really thought of that, as she is not making new feathers that I can see, except for the fluff she pulled out while broody.

Since she is small maybe she had a rough start where she was. Too many drakes maybe didn't get the nourishment she needed to grow? Hopefully when spring comes and she has been with you for a good while you'll see a big change in her.

To tell truth I have never seen a cat or dog food I thought was good enough to buy. My dog was raw fed for 13 years. I do buy cheap sardines (in just unsalted water) and mealy worms. I'll try those and some more scrambled eggs but will have to give them to her, as it takes her longer to get over while the others gobble up the goodies. Maybe chicken I don't intend to eat but I have this thing about turning my ducks into cannibals. Don't know if that is realistic at all.

Your new pic is lovely. Such healthy content birds.

Since she is small maybe she had a rough start where she was. Too many drakes maybe didn't get the nourishment she needed to grow? Hopefully when spring comes and she has been with you for a good while you'll see a big change in her.
I'm certain that was the case at the farm. The farmer who raises 600 chickens, only had these ducks for a few months and didn't like them, so sold them all (maybe 60) to another farmer, except for my 2 hens.

Fingers crossed for spring, as I know she will start to lay eggs just as soon as it arrives.

I know it's hard to find food for pets we can fully trust.
I do buy Fromm grain free for my dog he will be 14 on the 18th of dec. This is what my poultry gets daily mixed with dried mealworms. My Muscovy would rather have the dog food than mealworms. I keep thinking one of these days they will start barking. lol
My new avatar is in memory of Sam my gander who passed away this past feb at age 14 and my Muscovy female Ruth who passed away this past month she was 15. They sure leave a hole.

Well I guess I was right about them being contented. I imagine they're flying up in the clouds now. What could be better?
My female saluki Ta'sel is frequently with me still. She passed April of 2021. The yellow pansies I planted on her grave this past spring bloomed all summer into fall with no extra feeding or water from me.

What a nice memorial for her to have them bloom all spring into fall. That isn't something that happens so it is special.

I am sorry for your loss.

Btw, after looking up Fromm I'm confused as usual by the size and ingredients. Do you buy pate, puppy or regular size dog food for the muscovy?
Well I guess I was right about them being contented. I imagine they're flying up in the clouds now. What could be better?
My female saluki Ta'sel is frequently with me still. She passed April of 2021. The yellow pansies I planted on her grave this past spring bloomed all summer into fall with no extra feeding or water from me.

What a nice memorial for her to have them bloom all spring into fall. That isn't something that happens so it is special.

I am sorry for your loss.
Thank you MIss Lydia.

I buy Fromm Gold for small adult dogs. This works for my dachshund [bite size] and for my poultry who love it too.
When I used to shop at sams club I bought Members mark grain free and they loved it too. But 30lb bags are too much at one time now that we're down to only one dog.
There is organic dog food but it's out of my price range.

Back
Top Bottom