STOP BATHING YOUR DUCKS/GEESE WITH SOAP

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CelticOaksFarm, Sep 14, 2013.

1. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    They are not dogs................please stop raising them like they are.

This is disturbing. I have read post after post here and other locations online about people giving their pet ducks and or geese bubble baths, or a bath in the tub with soap.

STOP IT

I dont know who started this train of thought with people but just cut it out.

Waterfowl have oils they spread over their feathers to keep them in good condition. ALL they need is clean water to "bath" and allowed to preen and spread the oils again over their feathers.

Yes they may have a slight order to them, NO this doesnt mean you should soap them up and give them daily/weekly/monthly soapy bathes.

CLEAN FRESH WATER and let them do what is natural to stay clean and their feathers in good health.

PS..............FYI.............

this is not geared towards show people who clean their birds before a show. This is geared towards pet owners who think daily/weekly/monthly soapy bathes are needed.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Mercy, I did not realize that this was catching on. I find that just fresh water makes a fine bath for the ducks, and they smell pretty darn good when they are cleaned up - which is most of the time for mine.

There is a steep learning curve with ducks, I remember it well. So much that we know doesn't translate when it comes to raising waterfowl.

3. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    I agree Amiga. After so many doing it recently and/or asking if they can I figured a post was in order. A new goose owner ssid the goose smelled and needed soap because they were keeping the goose in the house.

4. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Goodness. FWIW my ducks have been super filthy and the only thing I've ever bathed them in has been ESalt water, and that was when one had an injury!

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Not to overload with TMI, but I do actually sniff my ducks from time to time. I have seen that certain health problems come with an aroma. So, I sniff'em when I can get that close.[​IMG]... anyway, mine smell just a little bit like meringue, kind of fresh eggy. I wanted to share that, because as I wrote before, a clean duck (fresh swim water regularly) does not smell offensive. And even the cleanest duck can let loose a real eye-burner poo sometimes. [​IMG] But that's not the duck, and no amount of soap or shampoo will change that. If something seems whiffy in the pen, I look around and remove it. It happens more with the broodies.

Once, Zwei's breath smelled of garlic, and I realized she had found a stray volunteer garlic (just a tiny sprout). No harm done.

6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I had no idea people were doing that either, i have self bathing ducks and they have yet to ask for a bubble bath lol

7. TheJadeChicken

TheJadeChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't do bubble baths either. They get a pool with fresh clean water. Geese first and then ducks. xD

8. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    The first person who asked what soap to use I wrote off as new to ducks. However it is becoming a trend with ducks and geese this year.

9. lassira

lassira Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2013
    Salem, or
    I am new to ducks and fresh water usually does the trick but I have a disabled duck who swims alright but can't stand or walk. This also means no oil spreading or water proofing. He preens his belly a lot because he can reach that. Any suggestions for keeping him clean outside this?

10. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    whats the disability. I have seen even disabled ducks preen and spread their natural oils

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by