Stop bleeding from spurs

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mrsreeks87, Feb 27, 2016.

1. mrsreeks87

mrsreeks87 New Egg

Feb 27, 2016
    So today my husband and I removed our rooster spurs for the first time by using the twist off techniques well after we expected some blood but he is still bleeding and I need a way to stop it. Please help.

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Welcome, glad you have joined us, but so sorry about your problem.

If you have a Styptic Pencil then use that. If not, many recommend Cornstarch.

You could just us topical pressure on the bleeding area for 5-7 minutes.

Hope this help.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You are off line, so I don't think any suggestions will help now. You could post on the emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," thread. Or just put "Bleeeding spurs," in the search box.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

[​IMG]
    There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around the run.
    I use the powder farmers use for cattle castration. It works great. Hope your roosters are fine.

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. You have some good advice already but more generally...
    If you check out the Learning Centre, you'll find a whole host of resources on all things chicken.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Your state thread is worth joining as you will get to know other BYC members in your area (just type your state in the search box). In fact, the search box should become your best friend [​IMG] Lastly but by no means least, the members here are amazing - very friendly and helpful, so if you need an answer to a question or simply want some reassurance that what you are doing is ok, then post away - we all help each other out here at BYC

All the best
    CT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by