Stop going broody! It's not Spring any more!

AlbionWood

Songster
9 Years
May 24, 2010
Albion, California
We have a Buff Orpington who went broody about three months ago; we put some CX chicks under her and a Wyandotte who was also broody, and they raised them well. The BO stayed with the chicks for over a month, before slowly losing interest and rejoining the flock. Now she's broody again! And REALLY stubborn about it - we've had her in a "broody breaker" cage for four days now, and she's still in the trance most of the time. Anyone have any other tips to help break her of it? This is way too late to be raising more chicks and we are done with that for the year anyway!

To make matters worse, my wife just informed me that the Welsummer hen has also gone broody, for something like the third time this year. In early Spring she went broody for about a week or more, then snapped out of it on her own. Then a couple of months later she did it again, and we broke her in the cage, which only took a couple of days - she's kind of high-strung and easily upset. Now she's back in the cage, with the BO... I hope they don't encourage each other!

Somebody once mentioned they use aspirin to break broodiness - on the theory that it lowers the fever which accompanies the hormone shift. Anyone know maore about that?

Yep, it's crazy. None were broody when I had eggs to hatch then mid summer came and it has been one after another. I've had two 7-8 month olds, a BO and Welsumer that I just can't break. My older girls seem to know better. They don't like the cage prison. I ran out of room and used my second stage brooder for another bird. It's so hot here they really pull their breast feathers out. My Welsumers are just beginning to lay large eggs, too. Something in the atmosphere? I'm going to research would like to know of a preventive myself.

Oh, so THAT'S where my broody beams from Sourland went!
gig.gif

put the broody in a cage above the ground with an open wire bottom. The breeze blowing on her chest after a few days should break the broodiness!
smile.png

I just kept tossing mine outside in the yard whenever I caught them in the nest box when they go broody. Took a few weeks, but it worked.

Not sure what else to tell you .... I've always been of the mindset that it's not worth it to me to put the effort into breaking them from being broody - I toss them out in the yard - that's the extent of my effort. Otherwise I just wait it out.

If I did want to put in the effort - I'd probably keep her in a wire cage with no bedding for a few days.

Good luck !
smile.png

The BO broke yesterday - we kept her in the cage overnight to be sure, and today she is running around with the flock again. The Welsummer is still in the cage; wife let her out for a while and bang into the nest box she went!

Was just hoping maybe somebody knew about the aspirin thing, or any other proven tricks beyond the open wire-floored cage. (Maybe I didn't make it clear, that is the "broody breaker" I mentioned.) It works, just takes a few days, and is kind of a pain... will be even worse if this happens during the rainy season...

Also just wanted to gripe about these silly broodys!

I've had a Black Star, yes I said Black Star that has been broody all summer. She has brooded 2 batches of eggs that didn't make it to hatch. The first eggs disappeared one at a time at hatch time. The second had a dud and one disappeared, one I found stepped on egg cracked with a dead fully formed chick. The remaining egg I put in the bator and didn't hatch. Postmortem exam, fully formed but yolk not absorbed. She is now sitting on the 3rd hatch of 4 eggs. So far one has disappeared. As of today the other 3 are ok. This will be her last try as her comb and wattles are getting very pale and I fear for her well being. Thanks for giving me some tips on how to break her if this hatch doesn't pan out.

My silkies haven't been off the nests except to raise chicks for the past 3 months. I've given up on trying to break them. I don't have room for anymore chickens right now, so I'm hoping they'll give it up one of these days. Until then I have a couple of fluffy nestboxes. The other hens don't seem to mind, and when they lay the silkies get out to stretch and eat, so I guess it's all working out.

Back
Top Bottom