Stop looking at my ducks that way!

oh my gosh thank you so much. Hiram is so close to us and I go there every week to run my errands. I don't want to hatch any more eggs at this time because it will be so hard to keep them warm and cozy. I did my incubating at beginning of May and they hatched on the 30th and 31st which worked out great as far as them being warm just because it was almost summer. I was able to have my babies out and in their little paint tray pool in a few days. I would love to have some eggs in the spring though. I could trade you some unfertile eggs for some fertile ones! That would be so awesome!
I have a bald eagle hanging around. My friend says don't worry he's looking for fish. I do live right next to a big river. Carabassett I like fish too and I like chicken. I wouldn't put it past him to swipe a chicken dinner. Of course I'm sure he's protected by the Feds. I wouldn't shoot him anyway. Too gorgeous. Just redirect him to the river. LOL

That sounds great, whenever you are ready just let me know and I will set some aside for you. Not sure what the babies from our Chocolate or blue runners would look like but we have a male and female fawn and white...
View attachment 1602522We raised the 3 babies in February last year and wish we would have waited until spring as well.
I know it doesn't replace Daisy but happy to help in any way :)
Your ducks are so beautiful! I can't wait to see what we will get with your chocolate and blue! My ducks are inbreds so it will be great to have new genetics introduced to my little flock. You are so kind and I thank you so much. Now I'm excited about spring! And trying hard not to be paranoid about protecting my remaining girls.:love

I have a bald eagle hanging around. My friend says don't worry he's looking for fish. I do live right next to a big river. Carabassett I like fish too and I like chicken. I wouldn't put it past him to swipe a chicken dinner. Of course I'm sure he's protected by the Feds. I wouldn't shoot him anyway. Too gorgeous. Just redirect him to the river. LOL
I'd worry! We've got over 200 acres behind us with tons of trees and fields so I'd think that they'd stay away from our barn but nope. Of course last winter they did a lot of logging out there and it disrupted everything and cut down of habitat. This year for the first time we've been plagued with snakes too. We've had ducks for 1 1/2 years and starting this spring when a big snake got my little Ranger and now this hawk killing Daisy we had never had any issues before.

I'd worry! We've got over 200 acres behind us with tons of trees and fields so I'd think that they'd stay away from our barn but nope. Of course last winter they did a lot of logging out there and it disrupted everything and cut down of habitat. This year for the first time we've been plagued with snakes too. We've had ducks for 1 1/2 years and starting this spring when a big snake got my little Ranger and now this hawk killing Daisy we had never had any issues before.
See snow and cold weather is good for something. SNAKES. Oh we have snakes but none that could get a bird. None poisonous. Green garden, just a bigger worm. And black snakes Snakes don't bother me.

See snow and cold weather is good for something. SNAKES. Oh we have snakes but none that could get a bird. None poisonous. Green garden, just a bigger worm. And black snakes Snakes don't bother me.
It was a 6' king snake which are good snakes to have around except when they wrap their 6' body around my little duck and squeeze the life out of her. They like eggs too!

This hawk landed right by us and proceeded to eat my hen! Its been hanging around my yard for 3 weeks now. I wish he would move along, my chickens haven't been able to free range.
;;.jpg

This hawk landed right by us and proceeded to eat my hen! Its been hanging around my yard for 3 weeks now. I wish he would move along, my chickens haven't been able to free range.View attachment 1602543
So sorry!:( I didn't know hawks moved on. I know we've had them out back in the fields for years but they never bothered my ducks until now. I'm looking forward to my new netting getting here!

I’ve thankfully never had any issue with hawks. Aside from some circling, but nothing further! We have crows, I wouldn’t be surprised if they fight off the hawks. The crows are feisty here! Our most likely predator would be the vast amount of stray dogs. They’ll wander toward our fence and poke their head through. We’ve had four dogs walk along our fence, and one jump through! It was a tiny thing, that squeezed in! :th

We have one red tailed hawk couple and one great horned owl pair that rotate between our neighborhood and one that is on the other side of the local elementary school. Our two neighborhoods are older (build in 83 and 85) so we still have a lot of old growth trees. Great things for birds of prey. The red tails lodged in my neighbor's yard and hatched 3 babies. I am pretty sure momma was the one sitting in my tree looking down on my run when our ducks were about 2 months old. She glanced at me and sat there for a while, but she couldn't get them. Our ducks are free as can be, with a house and crate if they so choose. They are at about 7 months old now. All of them keep an eye on the sky and watch. I've had the hawks do fly overs but I also don't have a lot of open space in my backyard due to me planting a couple of fig trees and some large bushes to accompany the three oaks that are large enough to blend into each other canopy-wise. Makes for a harder land and swoop. Not that a hawk won't land, but we tried to make it difficult with lots of places for our ducks to hide under and such. Our Muscovies have a death stare too, when they spot something they aren't sure of. It makes for interesting watching.

The owls are not in our neighborhood this year, but possibly next year, so will keep an eye out. I was mighty nervous when I saw the momma hawk sitting in my tree. She was beautiful though.

Back
Top Bottom