STOP THE PRESSES!!!!!

Actually I was just outside with the chickens and the one girl that's been doing all the nest sitting is the one responsible for all the dark feathers in the nestboxes as of late. She's got a good sized bare spot on her lower chest/abdomen.
Of all my hatchery brahmas, my darks have always seemed "truer" to the breed standard than my lights and buffs. IMO and a few other folks as well, Thor is an very nice looking dark brahma roo. My dark hens are the largest of my hens, as well as being my best egg layers. The only exception being Lil' Bit, but she's an excellent layer even if she is small.
Now I'm back to agonizing. Move her now and know that the DDs will have to care for her while we are gone or wait. I have a week before we leave, so think I'm going to move her.
barnie.gif

Congrats, Gritsar. She won't be any trouble for the DDs to look after if she's broody. Go for it! Then you'll be watching the babies hatch shortly after you get back!
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
What a great wedding gift!
jumpy.gif

Penny

I guess I'm in the minority on this but I have two hens that go broody all the time. One of them went broody after laying only 3 eggs. I'm not sure of their breed. I got them at a flea market because my nephew's wanted them. I hope nobody hates me for this but I don't really want mmine to go broody, I have plenty of chickens:cd
30256_black_hen.jpg

do you have to separate broodys? My neighbor doesn't they usually are fine but once in awhile another hen tries to sit too.

Em, I think if I want this particular girl to ever stick I'll have to seperate her. My nest boxes are in an active area of my coop and I have one hen, Brigid, that's on the top of the pecking order and insist on running everybody out of the coop before she'll lay. I think she ran this other hen off yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom