STOP THE PRESSES!!!!!

Congrats! gritsar
clap.gif

Will be looking for updates.

Quote:
She didn't stick!
hit.gif

She stayed on the nest until about 4 PM and then went off with the flock.
She's back on the nest this morning. She may be going to a broody pen tonight anyhow. I have it all ready and some fake eggs in place. I'm pretty convinced there's too much going on in the coop for her to stick with it.

Oh no.
sad.png

Well, don't give up on her just yet. She probably just needs her own quiet space. (That's what I'd want if I were her.
cool.png
)

But I know nothing about broody hens. Learning from everyone here.

Good luck!

I have a BYC friend that lives in Oklahoma. She tells me that two of her hens have gone broody in the last few days. As I'm sure you know ridgerunner, we've had nothing but dark dreary days here lately. The darkness factor does seem to have something to do with it.
I've decided to wait until week after next to attempt to force this hen to go broody. I think she would make an excellent broody. She's one of my largest hens and she has a very calm disposition. I decided to wait because of the wedding next week. The DDs are going to be here at the farm caring for the animals while we are gone and I don't want to make extra work for them. 'Course if the hen has other plans, I'm not going to stop her from trying.
I'll keep y'all posted. Thanks for the support.
smile.png

A dark? As in dark Cornish? Such a rare event! Cornish never go broody! I bought a trio from a friend who's been breeding them since he was a wee lad (and he's old now. lol how nice am I?) and one of the hens went broody. He said that was the second broody Cornish he's ever seen. Congrats, now get some eggies under her!

Quote:
No, sorry. She's a dark LF brahma. A breed known to go broody, but my girls enjoy their freedom too much to be tied down with motherhood.

Kat, sometimes they work up to broody for a short period of time. Maybe that's what she doing. Just move her and see what she does when she doesn't have any distractions of the others around her. Give her a day or so to see if she'll sit tight. When she has quit laying entirely, stays on the nest overnight and possibly plucks her breast feathers, she's full-on broody.

Quote:
No, sorry. She's a dark LF brahma. A breed known to go broody, but my girls enjoy their freedom too much to be tied down with motherhood.

Ah, well exciting none the less. Are hatchery brahmas known for broodiness? I just bought one LF Brahma and one LF Maran from Privett hatchery to add to my layer flock... I sure don't want a broody in there!

Back
Top Bottom