Stopped laying could it be the fermented feed?

ONE more thought- ;-) while I was mixing my own fermented feed just now.... my girls won't eat ANY of the 'good' stuff that has fish meal in it...and remember reading their ingredients excited to ferment it as it's got grains/seeds too... but they have fish meal! ? just a thought- they literally went like 2 days of me thinking they surely won't starve themselves...and wouldn't eat a bit!! ;-) ?? Had tried two other brands that used it too and they refused to touch it! lol

Yes I learned that in a scary bad way! Never again. I did it kind of abrupt when I realized Tulip only getting chick starter so I panicked and thought I have to switch to grower for them all too eat and have always had oyster shell on the side for her . Tulip was added to the younger ones from a friend and laid fine for weeks then the shell less egg then nothing.
Sorry I am super late to the party- when I wrote my mini- novella you only had like 1 other comment maybe... didn't know WHY you were feeding grower food to a layer and now I see- you are trying to compensate I guess to her living with your pullets?
Problem is the ratio of the necessary components- calcium, phosphorus, Vit D3 etc... growers only have like max of 1.3-1.5% Calcium which I guess is why you are trying to add it- I thought you were doing do only after seeing the shell-less or soft shelled egg...

I just keep reading/hearing "stick with a well balanced diet for the type of chicken you have- and lay off the treats/scraps/scratch... no more than 10% over and over...;-)

Think other comment of the protein not really mattering with 1-2% either way is prob. true- but the calcium etc. does... that's why you can't feed reg layer feed if you have ducks- not enough niacin- for example!
I'm not sure how it does to simply supplement to compensate...?! NOT my area by any means!! Have enough problems without mixing my flock yet but it's a coming- hubby just spent 6 mos building an amazing shed/coop combo with attached huge covered run....he's NOT gonna be ok with 4 3yo layers who are bred to produce for only about that much time- maybe a few more... Not heartless by any means- his "bud" didn't lay at all- just getting to be that time....

will pay attention though to how it goes!! :hugs Best of luck!

Thank you all! Still no egg here but she’s acting fine. I will continue the calcium pills and hope for the best! I do have dish amoxicillin I could give to combat any reproductive infection that maybe I am missing. I’m at a loss here :( if she never lays again that’s fine but I do think something is wrong since she was laying fine until the river like egg.

Gosh, I like your answer MUCH better ;-) lol... a hidden nest would be a FAR better answer!! I knew mine wasn't as they only got out to "free range" in afternoons when we were watching them due to a large amt of hawks on our land!! Agree on diet though... Did consider it though way back when my problems started as it was the only change... from a smaller brand to big feed store name brand... back when they actually recalled a bit of their food.... but little did I know... NOT the problem!!

Hope you are right- they ARE sneaky!! Unfortunately also sneaky about being sick!! They'll hide it until it's daggone near too late!!
There’s no hidden nest. It’s a small area and I can check all areas well. She goes in the box every morning for a little bit but no egg. She’s pooping so she’s not egg bound and I don’t feel an egg. :/

Attachments

• C27349E6-9D8B-4665-A01D-D23529EB5AC3.jpeg
    C27349E6-9D8B-4665-A01D-D23529EB5AC3.jpeg
    944.1 KB · Views: 0
There’s no hidden nest. It’s a small area and I can check all areas well. She goes in the box every morning for a little bit but no egg. She’s pooping so she’s not egg bound and I don’t feel an egg. :/
That sounds to ME even more like 'internal laying' ...Sev members have mentioned to me that going in the egg box without laying- esp more than once is a big red flag to them for them based on past experiences.

Also- sounds like you have no signs of her being egg bound- didn't feel it and you'd see her trying- butt low, 'pumping' and trying...

Is she eating and acting like a normal chicken- ie "head down butt up"?! ;-) That always makes me feel things are good at a glance- once I see one off on their own being still- either puffed up and hunched OR up like a penguin...I know there's a big problem...
Don't forget- they hide it as LONG as possible being prey animals... don't give us much warning before finding out it's bad!

Even so- maybe a warm Epsom Salt soak for at least 20 min. while you hold/soothe/assess her (and keep her from just jumping OUT 😘 ) would not be a BAD idea-doesn't seem like it would hurt her- unless she particularly HATES being handled!

Mine seemed to enjoy it and really relax... think about a swollen, painful abdomen for whatever reason- feels good and magnesium can pull out toxins anyway as well as help with muscle spasms...kinda covering your bases...IF you have time and feel up to it! I usually make sure it's warm enough and early enough to give her time to dry before the cool evening... but mine like being swaddled and held to dry off (and others have enjoyed a good blow dry MUCH to my disbelief!! :lau

Sorry- not making light but in between trying to send off my baby for a necropsy still, that is a welcome memory!! ;-)

BTW- Read alot recently on a "peafowl" egg bound thread (long older one!) - here on BYC with some REAL smart members 😘 - and seems hydration is KEY-when they're egg bound- it seems giving them oral 'boluses' (carefully and not to much obviously to not cause them to overfill crop and possibly aspirate!) She mentioned 60mls at a time but this would depend on size, etc... Not sure if this was ONLY with peafowl but worth looking into! They also gave SQ fluid boluses- which I'd love to do but have no more access to IV fluids or even butterfly sets... not sure how people get that! Have seen D50 and sterile water at TSC but nothing like NS or D5W... Used it help my kitty a LOT when he was bound up intestinally... They were also keeping up on giving extra calcium- think they were using Calcium gluconate 23%?? but not sure if it can be given orally as well- sounded like it WAS but not sure if that was ok or not ;-) haha Again- amts depend on weight/bird, etc...Also they were discussing doing a good "steam" as opposed to a bath... once the bird when "paralyzed" due to being egg bound- evidently that happens...fun! Guess you don't want to have them in water for sure unless you are there the whole time if their legs are not working!! Seems it's temporary...
They're awful pretty but I think I have WAY too much of a stressful personality already than to deal with them!! ;-) I know my limits!!! lol

Good luck!!!:hugs

Back
Top Bottom