Stopped laying eggs

helicopterchickenmom

In the Brooder
Oct 25, 2020
Hello,

Cagney, our 6 year old RIR was laying for several days then taking a break, then laying again early this Spring. In all she laid 19 eggs and one Fairy Egg from March 2 thru April 5. Now she hasn't laid for 11 days. I don't think she's egg bound. No sign of parasites on her or in feces. She's fine. She's as feisty as ever and having a great time in the back yard now that the snow has gone. Very active. Very vocal. As usual.

In the last week she has moved all four of the wooden eggs in to her nesting box and goes in there daily. I fluff the straw so I can tell if she's been in there. She's not broody. She doesn't spend much time in there. Just sits a bit then pops out to resume happily grazing for yummy things to eat. It's almost like she's pretending to have laid an egg out of habit.

Lacey, our 10 year old Wyandotte hasn't laid this year at all. Not unexpected. She laid six eggs early last year then quit.

Can a 6 year old be finished at this age? She was a prolific layer in her early years. Maybe she cranked them all out earlier than Lacey. It's fine if she is finished. Our two chickens are pets. We aren't concerned about eggs as long as The Girls are healthy. We have access to other pasture raised chicken eggs.

Does anyone have some wisdom to share? We've been five years with these "rescue" chickens and still learning.

Thanks!

Thank you Sourland. I was wondering about that myself.

Now there is another layer to the story. We just came home from the grocery to find Lacey, the elder, in the nest box.

So now I'm not certain who's been going in there. I know I've seen Cagney in there on two occasions.

I put another wooden egg in the nest box next to the one they use to see if Cagney pushes it in there. If it's pushed in to the other box when Lacey vacates the coop today, I will know she's our little egg hoarder. I have no doubt she was a Supermom before we got her, so that would make sense.

Whatever is going on, there's nothing like chickens to entertain and keep you on your toes! We love it!

Back
Top Bottom