Stopped laying

ThisoldNHhen

Chirping
Sep 8, 2020
New Hampshire
My chickens have all but stopped laying these past few weeks. I was expecting a declined but only got 1 egg last week with 6 chickens. Some are molting, and I have rearrange their coop, built a new one actually, an they haven't been laying well since. So my question is, is there something can do to help with egg laying or is it just natural since we are getting into colder weather and shorter days? Also read somewhere about feeding cat food to boost protein to help with molting, and since I have a cat thought I might see if they like it? (Cat food that is not the cat!)

My chickens have all but stopped laying these past few weeks. I was expecting a declined but only got 1 egg last week with 6 chickens. Some are molting, and I have rearrange their coop, built a new one actually, an they haven't been laying well since. So my question is, is there something can do to help with egg laying or is it just natural since we are getting into colder weather and shorter days? Also read somewhere about feeding cat food to boost protein to help with molting, and since I have a cat thought I might see if they like it? (Cat food that is not the cat!)
How old are your birds, in months?
What all and how exactly are you feeding?
I like to feed a 20% all flock type feed, with oyster shell in a separate feeder for the active layers.

Sounds like several factors have lowered your egg production.
Weather plays a factor as it cools,
Molting lowers egg laying too,
Chickens don’t like change so a new/rebuilt coop can have an affect,
Yes, except it's the shortening days, not the cooler temps, that spur molting and cessation of lay.

Back
Top Bottom