Stopped laying!

Featherymum

In the Brooder
Dec 1, 2020
Hello all. I’m new to the group and new to chicken raising. I have recently acquired 2 beautiful bantams which settled in well with us and until last week, both would lay one egg most days. However one of them, Grace, has stopped laying and stays on the nest till we move her each morning. We keep them both out in the yard most of the day but as soon as they’re back in the coop, Grace runs up to the nest and won’t budge!
I would love any advice on how to change her behaviour, especially as the heat of Summer has just begun. (We’re in Western Australia).
CC18E190-31A2-4DD3-AFB2-84B9722D313D.jpeg

Last edited:
How old are these birds, in months?
Are they your only birds?
How long have you had them?
When ranging, do they have access to the coop and nests?

Wondering of she may be broody?
These are my go to signs of a broody;
Is she on nest most the day and all night?
When you pull her out of nest and put her on the ground, does she flatten right back out into a fluffy screeching pancake?
Does she walk around making a low cluckcluckcluckcluckcluck(ticking bomb) sound on her way back to the nest?

If so, then she is probably broody and you'll have to decide how to manage it.

Oh, and..... Welcome to BYC! @Featherymum
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1606827524685.png

Hello all. I’m new to the group and new to chicken raising. I have recently acquired 2 beautiful bantams which settled in well with us and until last week, both would lay one egg most days. However one of them, Grace, has stopped laying and stays on the nest till we move her each morning. We keep them both out in the yard most of the day but as soon as they’re back in the coop, Grace runs up to the nest and won’t budge!
I would love any advice on how to change her behaviour, especially as the heat of Summer has just begun. (We’re in Western Australia).View attachment 2432435
1606528678036.jpg

Thank you Aart for your reply.
My 2 girls are about 9 months old though I’ve only had them 6 weeks. The only other pets we have are fish - goldfish and large koi. In fact Grace (problem child!) fell into the pond last week. We were there and got her out straight away unharmed. But this happened just before she stopped laying so I wonder if there’s a connection?
She spends all night on the nest until I take her off first thing in the morning to free range in the yard for the day. She’s not at all aggressive when I handle her and enjoys sitting on my lap for short periods. I don’t give either of the girls access to the coop because Grace makes a beeline for the nest as soon as I let them back in at night.
My problem is how to separate the girls so that I can keep Grace off the nest and give Marsha access for laying. There are 2 nest boxes but ever since I’ve had the bantams, they have only ever used one of them.
Thanks too,for the welcome and the advice about editing my profile info, which I’ve now done.😊

How old are these birds, in months?
Are they your only birds?
How long have you had them?
When ranging, do they have access to the coop and nests?

Wondering of she may be broody?
These are my go to signs of a broody;
Is she on nest most the day and all night?
When you pull her out of nest and put her on the ground, does she flatten right back out into a fluffy screeching pancake?
Does she walk around making a low cluckcluckcluckcluckcluck(ticking bomb) sound on her way back to the nest?

If so, then she is probably broody and you'll have to decide how to manage it.

Oh, and..... Welcome to BYC! @Featherymum
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2432443

[Thanks Offshoreorca. That seems to be the general consensus. Just have to figure out the best ways to try and break the cycle.

QUOTE="Offshoreorca, post: 23616504, member: 565352"]
She sounds broody! You’ll have to break her brooding if you want her to go back to laying again.

Back
Top Bottom