storage ideas

iPeanut1990

Chirping
5 Years
May 7, 2014
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I'm looking for storage ideas for my chicken feed, scratch, shavings, coop cleaning supplies etc. Something simple. Not really looking for any type of shed. Trash cans maybe? I've been looking at a rubbermaid cargo box but that's a little more than I want to pay. Looking for something weather proof and animal proof obviously. How do you store your chicken supplies?

Pastic or metal barrels are probably your best bet for feed. Make sure you get ones with lids. If you go into garden centres and hardware stores or the likes, they often have slightly damaged plastic storage boxes (broken handles or clasps usually) for sale for very small money that could be used to store supplies.

Cheapest you can find is free! We use old swimming pool chlorine buckets as we have access to them regularly. If you go to your local pool supply store, see if they can save you some. They will also be able to sell you the basic stuff to clean them and it's pretty cheap in decent quantities.

*BE SURE TO CLEAN THEM OUT FIRST* by filling them with acidic water (pH less than 6.0 which will cause the chlorine to oxidize and break down/burn off - we use muriatic acid). Rinse and then add water and quite a bit of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) to 200-300 ppm which will neutralize the acid - soak for a few hours, scrub with a brush, rinse a couple of more times and it will be perfectly sanitary.

We use 100# containers as the lids are much more functional, and we keep EVERYTHING in them. Straw, shavings, feed, etc. Keeps the mice out! The 50# container might be easier to carry and they have a handle.

Then again, you might be able to find these style buckets at your hardware store or something. ;)

Back
Top Bottom