Storage

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Jashdon, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Jashdon

Jashdon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Snohomish, WA
    How long will eggs keep and what is the best way to store them? Should you wait to wash them untill you eat them?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Eggs at the store are labeled "best before" or "sell by" for something between 30-45 days. I've eaten eggs two plus months old. They just dry out and are best made with milk added. I personally don't wash eggs till eating time, and wipe clean with a towel if soiled.

See if this doesn't help out too:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=936

3. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Why don't you wash the eggs right when you bring them in from the nest? I mean if they are going in the fridge shouldn't they be cleaned right away???

Ok edited to say....I just saw on another thread where someone said they don't wash or refridgerate.....they made it sound like a good thing.....what's up with that?

Thanks for any info,
    Jodie

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  4. Tutter

Tutter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    N. California
    Washing them removes their natural, protective coating.

A lot of people just spot wash them of anything which doesn't belong, then wash them completely before using. [​IMG]

5. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Eggs around here dont last too long.

6. tvtaber

tvtaber Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Central CA
    I don't wash my eggs. If they are dirty, I'll wipe with a cloth, but only right before I cook or sell them (except for the occasional really poopy egg, which goes to the dogs!). I just don't see the point as they are really clean naturally, but if you need to wash them then refridgerate it can't hurt.

Usually the only dirt they have is from the little hands that collect them, and that has been cut down on significantly by sending the kids out with an egg carton to collect into. We've even had eggs in pockets that got forgot about and crushed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by