Store bought coop... I know, bad idea.. too late

You should maybe put the bully closer to the others. Chickens are very social and will get lonely
Lone chickens such as that one, as long as it has interaction with people, rather than ignored, will be fine. I actually have a dog crate IN my coop (albeit, I have a coop that is 8x12 so plenty of room to move around in for a human) that I use as a bully, sans infirmary, location, to keep the birds near each other, but separated for re-adjustment of pecking order as well as protecting an injured or sick bird from the others.

We can’t free range either because there’s too many predators around. So we decided we needed a chicken tractor and we found an old coop somebody was giving away and converted it to a chicken tractor. There are a lot of ideas and tips on YouTube for chicken tractors.
Here’s the one we like and are building for our girls

:thumbsup

We can’t free range either because there’s too many predators around. So we decided we needed a chicken tractor and we found an old coop somebody was giving away and converted it to a chicken tractor. There are a lot of ideas and tips on YouTube for chicken tractors.
Here’s the one we like and are building for our girls

:thumbsup
I see ONE little flaw in that design. If you can get the wheels up so that the frame actually rests on the ground more... not so much that it creates too much drag when you go to move it, but eliminate that gap between the ground and the bottom of the frame. Predators can reach under it when the girls are too close to it and grab them. Just making a suggestion that could prevent heartache later.

I see ONE little flaw in that design. If you can get the wheels up so that the frame actually rests on the ground more... not so much that it creates too much drag when you go to move it, but eliminate that gap between the ground and the bottom of the frame. Predators can reach under it when the girls are too close to it and grab them. Just making a suggestion that could prevent heartache later.
Mine will sit flush to the ground. The bars allow me to lower the wheels to move it and raise the wheels to set it down flush. It’s really a great design.

That would be great!!! I think the white silkie is a boy because it stood up to the older one. I'm looking for pics of him. He's good with people, but I was afraid one of the other chicks. would get hurt.
Just because it (silkie) stood up to a bigger hen does not make it a rooster. The smallest hen in my flock is half bantam and something else...but she is also the meanest little lady in the flock. She bossed EVERYONE around, including the new rooster I got, until he realized HE was the boss. She settled nicely into second in command, and takes no STUFF off of anyone!😀

Just because it (silkie) stood up to a bigger hen does not make it a rooster. The smallest hen in my flock is half bantam and something else...but she is also the meanest little lady in the flock. She bossed EVERYONE around, including the new rooster I got, until he realized HE was the boss. She settled nicely into second in command, and takes no STUFF off of anyone!😀
Yea, many don't realize that those banties can be 'Attila the Hun' hens because they're so small. They make up for being smaller when they're around the large-fowl birds, if they're all raised together. I've got a Silkie chick that's a week younger than 5 large-fowl chicks in a crate together... she's tiny compared to them now, and they're 4 weeks and 3 weeks old, respectively. But they accept her as a part of their flock because I introduced the Silkie at such a young age. The LFs were mean to her when she first got introduced because they didn't recognize those feathers on her legs, etc... kept grabbing at the feathers and dragging her around. A few thwocks on the head from me like a Mama Hen would do to her chicks to stop their behavior, and after a few minutes, they stopped bullying her.

So far, I’ve done everything wrong with my flock. I bought 7 chicks from a local Chicken Trade Days. I didn’t know HOW to pick a chick, so I let my daughter pick what she wanted. It’s been 6 weeks and I’ve learned a lot. I have one that’s clearly older than the others, one with a turned out foot, and probably 5 of the 7 are Roos (that I can’t have because where I live has an ordinance against crowing). I’ve had to separate the larger one because he’s a bully. I also bought a coop from Atwood’s. I know. Well, now I know. I’ll post a pick of the coop. I try to get picks of the flock, but most of them hate me. I’m trying, guys. I really am.
I live in East Texas. I live on about an acre. They can't free range because of roaming dogs.
I want happy healthy pet chickens who also provide eggs for food and fertilizer for my very small garden. I have no desire to hatch. I may try pullets next time, as the roos will have to go as soon as they start crowing.
View attachment 2648839View attachment 2648841View attachment 2648842View attachment 2648846View attachment 2648847View attachment 2648849View attachment 2648850View attachment 2648851

Having a store bought coop isn’t terrible for your first coop. You can always upgrade once you figure out what works best for you and your needs. Throughout the years we have upgraded and modified our coop. Every time we buy from Tractor Supply we get roos and chickens with health deformities, 3 years ago we vowed to stop buying from them and only shop from good hatcheries, I I know how hard it is to see all those babies right there and you just want to scoop them up and take them home. Try to remember in the long haul, it’s best to wait for what you want and get the right sex, breed, and healthy bird. As for you current Roo problem, I would get on some of the Facebook groups here in Texas and offer them up for trade, adoption or free, you might also check if there is a local farm rescue that would take them.
Sometimes, the store or owner you purchased them from will also take them back. Good luck 🍀

So far, I’ve done everything wrong with my flock. I bought 7 chicks from a local Chicken Trade Days. I didn’t know HOW to pick a chick, so I let my daughter pick what she wanted. It’s been 6 weeks and I’ve learned a lot. I have one that’s clearly older than the others, one with a turned out foot, and probably 5 of the 7 are Roos (that I can’t have because where I live has an ordinance against crowing). I’ve had to separate the larger one because he’s a bully. I also bought a coop from Atwood’s. I know. Well, now I know. I’ll post a pick of the coop. I try to get picks of the flock, but most of them hate me. I’m trying, guys. I really am.
I live in East Texas. I live on about an acre. They can't free range because of roaming dogs.
I want happy healthy pet chickens who also provide eggs for food and fertilizer for my very small garden. I have no desire to hatch. I may try pullets next time, as the roos will have to go as soon as they start crowing.
View attachment 2648839View attachment 2648841View attachment 2648842View attachment 2648846View attachment 2648847View attachment 2648849View attachment 2648850View attachment 2648851
The best was to assure you have no roos is to buy sexlink chickens. Or buy from a hatchery that sennds what you want. These places that have 'chick days" you are never sure what you got or how long they have been there.

Back
Top Bottom