Store item suggestion

While that would be cool, there are a few issues, a lot of supplies have expiration dates so BYC would have the liability of stock going bad on the shelf if not purchased, they would take up space and I imagine with the small number of physical items they sell that they don't have a warehouse and this stuff is likely sitting in someone's spare bedroom. I'm not sure what all you would want in a 1st aid kit, but, a lot of medicines need some sort of licence to sell, not sure what all is involved with that. I did find one for 25.99 online made for chickens though but I did not look to see what all was in it.

We actually just put together a starter first aid kit for our chickens and posted it to our own shop. (Sorry, don't mean to be too promotional here.) We included just "dry" supplies and really basic stuff that we did not have around the house. Someone else in the chicken keeping community also recommended picking up some antiseptic spray, so we did that too, but it's not in our kit in part because of the expiration challenges mentioned.

Generally, I hope to never need most of these supplies, but we had a scare one night where we thought we had a chick with an impacted crop and half a dozen YouTube videos later we realized we had none of the tools to help our chickens during an emergency and that scared us. I'm totally okay with these sitting in the closet gathering dust for all of time knowing that I have these things when / if I need them. We sifted through a bunch of chicken keeping literature to come up with the list of dry basics here... many people probably just have some of these items around their house to tend to other pets or even humans and won't need such a kit.

We actually just put together a starter first aid kit for our chickens and posted it to our own shop. (Sorry, don't mean to be too promotional here.) We included just "dry" supplies and really basic stuff that we did not have around the house. Someone else in the chicken keeping community also recommended picking up some antiseptic spray, so we did that too, but it's not in our kit in part because of the expiration challenges mentioned.

Generally, I hope to never need most of these supplies, but we had a scare one night where we thought we had a chick with an impacted crop and half a dozen YouTube videos later we realized we had none of the tools to help our chickens during an emergency and that scared us. I'm totally okay with these sitting in the closet gathering dust for all of time knowing that I have these things when / if I need them. We sifted through a bunch of chicken keeping literature to come up with the list of dry basics here... many people probably just have some of these items around their house to tend to other pets or even humans and won't need such a kit.
That is what I was hoping for. Something with the basic durables and a list of none durables to get and uses. Maybe a book or spiral plastic covered flip book that goes over basic care. Yes I can access care info on my phone, but I don't always have great signal in the coop. Or I'm in a panic and can't find the the website I want...

Thanks!

That is what I was hoping for. Something with the basic durables and a list of none durables to get and uses. Maybe a book or spiral plastic covered flip book that goes over basic care. Yes I can access care info on my phone, but I don't always have great signal in the coop. Or I'm in a panic and can't find the the website I want...

Thanks!
No worries, actually for a book on Chicken Health / Care, it seems the go-to from anyone and everyone is: The Chicken Health Handbook

No worries, actually for a book on Chicken Health / Care, it seems the go-to from anyone and everyone is: The Chicken Health Handbook

My copy arrived this week. I have almost finished a basic read through. It has helped alleviate most of my anxiety by conveying facts:

1.) There are SOOO many things that can go wrong.

2.) Not every health issue is major, there is a spectrum.

3.) If you have healthy conditions for your chickens, they are probably going to be healthy.

Thanks for the suggestion. We'll give it some thought. :)
You know we do have our own book on chicken health, Chicken Health for Dummies, co-written by our own @Nifty-Chicken .

Maybe the store and some of the items in it needs to be featured on the Home page more? I've even run into members that didn't know there was a store or how to get to it.

Back
Top Bottom