Gabriel - like the angel
Phoenix - like the magical bird (not the American place
smile.png
)

Gabriel was quickly shortened to Gabby.

Our next two chooks were an adoption
(a neighbour was going to release them into the aussie scrub (bush) to
be eaten by foxes).

And so we ended up with Lucy (Black Australorp) and Dot (Isa Brown).

I have always loved the name Lucy since watching I love Lucy when I was little
and Dot just seemed a name that I always thought I would name a chook if ever I had one
(which funnily enough, this urban dweller never had seen a real life
chook up close before I bought Gabby + Phoenix! )

Funnily enough when Dot finally laid her first egg a few weeks later they were all spotted / dotted
smile.png

44387_lucy_phoenix_gabby_dot.jpg

From Left: Lucy (Black Australorp), Phoenix (white feater on wing), Gabby (biggest comb), Dot (Dark red neck).

Last edited:
Cute.
smile.png

Mine are all named after the vampires from the Twilight series. I thought it was funny, since chickens are occasionally cannibalistic. My husband shakes his head though. Bella, Alice (Ameraucanas), Esme, Rose (Buff Orpingtons.)

We have a mess of chickens so I won't post pics of all of them.

I have four Australorps (who secretly are my favorites but don't tell the other chickens).
All four of them have names that start with the letter "F" but I don't know why I did this except that I do love alliteration.
This is the most affectionate of the bunch. Her name is Fiona and she is the first to lay. The other girls are close but no eggs yet.
34537_fiona2.jpg

The other 3 are named Freida, Finola, and Fergie

We have 3 Light Brahma's named: Princess Buttercup (from the movie The Princess Bride), Daisy and Margot

Three silkies this is my adorable Coco, named for fashion designer Coco Channel but oops she's turned out to be a he. After months of calling him Coco we just couldn't change the name.
34537_coco_looking_good.jpg

The others are named Percival (we call him Percy for short) and the only silkie hen at present is all white and therefore called Bianca.

We got 3 Buff Orpingtons when they were 3 months old and they reminded me of dancers with their pale pink legs and their little ballerina tiara combs so they got dancer names, Ginger Rogers, Martha Graham, and Cyd Charisse. Here is Cyd bowing at the end of her performance.
34537_a_buff_orp.jpg

We've got one Silver Laced Wyandotte, named Gwenivere from the story.

Our Rhode Island Red is named Ruby.

My avatar is our standard Blue Cochin, who we named Sylvia because she's silvery looking.

Our adorable banty Japanese Frizzle roo is named Jackson but we call him the Master and Commander - cause he thinks he's all that and a bag of chips. He was 5 months old in the picture. He's now 6 months old and even more gorgeous.
34537_frizzle_roo_1.jpg

The lady we got the frizzle roo from needed to get rid of some other chickens. We took two Speckled Sussex hens. Very attractive hens but gosh were they big and broad. Originally we named them Dori and Dot but when we put them into the big coop with our slightly younger girls, they became a pain the butt. So we started calling them the Butt Sisters, Bertha and Beatrice. The name comes from a song that was popular when I was a teenager, called Neanderthal. There is a phrase in the song that goes, "She was a big woman. Her name was Bertha, Bertha Butt. She was one of the Butt sisters." It became clear that the Butt Sisters would have to have their own accomodations. So darling husband built them their own place.

Then dear friends needed us to take a rooster off of their hands (just too many roos.) Their children named him Big Al so we kept the name. He is a gorgeous boy a mixed breed (Heinz 57 - I'm from Pittsburgh originally) We put him in with the Butt Sisters and it was love at first sight. The three of them get along just great. Here's a picture of Big Al getting a kiss from Beatrice.
34537_bea_kissing_al.jpg

I have an Esme and a Lucy, too! They were named after book characters-Esme Weatherwax from Terry Pratchett novels and Lucy from Bram Stoker's Dracula (I am a huge bookworm).

My main rooster is called King Louis because at the time he arrived I was reading a biography of Louis XIV and the real name of the Sun King sounded like a perfect one for a Buff Orpington rooster. I kept in the historical vein and named two hens Ann (Boleyn) and Marie (Antoinette) after the queens who lost their heads (as I hope my girls never do).

Last edited by a moderator:
Those names are so fun.
I really like this thread and I hope more people post.
Thank you, Countedsorrow for starting this.

We have Buffy the BO, I know, original! Barbara the Barred Rock, and 3 black sex links - Goldie, because of the gold "mane" of feathers around her neck, and the twins, Regular and Extra Crispy, which we call Reggie & Crispy. And no - we won't be eating them, but my DH thought it was funny. Then we got the White's, who are white leghorns - Lily and Snow. Our bantam cochin roo is dancer because of the little dance he does when approaching the ladies and because I have a Dine (Navajo) friend who does traditional dance and is all cocky like this roo. Our self blue OEGBs are Baby Blue (George Strait song) aka Blue Roo and Bonnie Blue from Gone With the Wind who my Grandson calls "Dove" because he thought that's what she was when he first saw her. Then there are the 2 bantam silver laced cochins girls named Daisy (DH's Grandmother) and Delilah because she was almost all black when she was a chick. And last, but not least, is our bantam Delaware roo - #1 who got his name because he was the only tiny yellow chick we got when we bought the bantams.

I had 6 RIRs and only named one. He was the first one we knew for sure was a roo and he was mean as the devil to the others, so we called him Diablo. Sadly all 6 of the RIRs were rehomed when we discovered they were all roos.

I won't go over all of them, but a few that stand out are....

Miss Purdy Poopscratcher (Purdy) because the first thing she does every morning is run to the donkey/cow pasture to get her groove on in the poo. She spends most of her time with poo on her beak and feet. But she's awful purdy
wink.png

AWOL - can't keep this chicken anywhere near the yard - she has wandered as far as the road (1/4 mile away) before I had to go chase her back. Last time she was heading over the hayfield hill (towards where the coyotes make their dens) so Ihad to lock her up.

Bubba - because I raised him from a chick and he had that Bubba type personality - still does
lau.gif
if he were human he would have a red neck.

Miss Celie - Miss Celie decided one day to emancipate herself from the ever-lovin' rooster so she went to live in the woods for four months. She's named after Miss Celie from The Color Purple. She finally came back to the coop when winter set in. She's one of the oldest chickens I own.

Chicken George - cause he's flashy and sassy like Chicken George from Roots.

Spazz - Spazz came to us as an older pullet and all by herself, so she hid in the coop for 6 full months and refused to exit at all - even to the chicken run. No other chicken bothered her, she was just afraid they MIGHT bother her, so she wasn't taking any chances. When she finally did exit the coop to freerange one day, the first thing she saw was my husband and she fell in love with this tall (to her) brave knight and follows him everywhere to this day. He is her "protector" (from what, only she knows).

meri

Quote:
We have a Buffy Bo and Goldie GL Polish. These are our not so original names. We have another GL Polish named Bo as in Bo Peep (as the polish are always lost). Sahara a BO that was a survivor of dehydration from a mail order. BA named Pongo (like the dalmation) as she was black and white as a chick. Oddball a silkie mix that has 9 toes. 2 light Brahmas Yeti and Tiny. A RIR named Dooley after my grandfather (last name) who used to raise RIRs. Our EEs are Queenie, Poofy (for her poofy cheeks), Angel (for her beautiful angel like wings), Chillin (Cause she likes to just chill out). Lakenvelters are Speedy and Flighty (DS named them and I have no idea which is which).
Our roosters are:
General Tso (Red Star and alpha)
Colonel Sanders (Wheaten OEGB)
Sergeant Pepper (little black mixed bantam)
Bouncy (mixed Millie Fleur who may get a name change to Colonel Mustard)

My roosters: Moolie (formerly Mulan who turned out to be a boy); Rudy the red silkie, Sam-I-Am the porcelain D'uccle and Fabio the fabulous frizzled bantam cochin!

The girls: The New Hampshire Red sisters - Cherry, Strawberry and Undertaker (named by my 5 yer old son who watches old wrestling tapes). Zsa Zsa - bantam cochin. Melodie and Kiwi, the Easter Eggers. Raven and Rose, the Orpingtons. Blanca and Nuit, the white and black silkies. Mammie, my black cross (?) hen.

Then sharing the coops is Sunny, the golden yellow pheasant and the Screaming Mimi's ... the two guinea fowl.

All 15 are sweet and cuddly - Life is good!
Laura

CTChick, the Screaming Mimi's - that's hysterical!
We had some guineas but gave them away to friends. We called them the guinea gang cause they did everyting as one unit.

Back
Top Bottom