1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Storing chicken feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by usalbrechts, Aug 26, 2007.

1. usalbrechts

usalbrechts Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    south east MI
    What do you guys use to store your feed in?? I stupidly have just been trying to close up the bag tight in the garage, no container. Now we have weevels everywhere!!!! I have some DE on the way to take care of the problem. I am wondering what the best airtight container is.....I would love to keep the food out by the coop if I could find a racoon/weather proof container somewhere.

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I use 5 gallon plastic buckets with lids, they can be bought at lowes, home depot and alot of hardware stores for around $5

3. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    I use the small 10 gallon galvanized trash cans.

4. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    I also use the galvonized trash cans but I have had to put bungee cords across the lids because the little red squirrels in our area are smart enough to take the lids off! Darn little varmints!

5. usalbrechts

usalbrechts Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    south east MI
    I have seen the galvanized trash cans at the feed store but they are really expensive (I think around 30 bucks or so!). Did you find yours at a cheaper place. I looked at Meijer and they don't have them there.

6. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    I got mike (Not Mike - mine ) at our local Tractor Supply CO. It was rather expensive if I remember right but I have tried other ways to store feed and none have worked as well to keep out pests. I even had a "heavy duty" plastic trsh can with lid. Like the kirbys that our local trash company uses and some how something, and I never did figure out what it was, chewed a hole right threw the side of the container and ate a half a bag of feed in one night!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2007
  7. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I use the galvanized trash cans with lids too. I used to use the big rubbermaid ones and there was one year that I had squirrels chew right through them!!! I keep the horse feed and chickens feed in them. They may cost a little more but they last forever and are varment proof so worth the investment. I think I got mine at Lowe's or Home Depot.

8. RebelsHope

RebelsHope Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2007
    wisconsin
    I use galvanized too. They do last, unless a 1500lb horse steps on them, that puts a bit of a dent in them. LOL [​IMG]

9. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I too use the galvanized cans BUT.......I just got a new one and it was $11.
    I put a 50# bag of sunflower chips in it easy. (just an example to the size)
    So i guess you should look around and maybe you can find one cheaper.

10. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    I will use cat litter buckets - right now we're still just using the bag - BUT we have plenty cat litter buckets - and those should do the trick!
    (I store my DE in a cat litter bucket)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by